Table of Contents
- Fulbright-Nehru Master’s Fellowship
- National Overseas Scholarship
- The JN Tata Endowment – Higher Education of Indians
- Erasmus Mundus Joint Master Degree
- Lady Meherbai D Tata Education Scholarship
- Agatha Harrison Memorial Fellowship
- Summary of the Top 6 scholarships for studying abroad by Indian government
- Frequently Asked Questions
Many Indian students dream of studying at the world's best universities like Howard, MIT, Princeton, etc. But unfortunately, many students can't fulfill their dream because of financial reasons. So, to help students to pursue higher education abroad, the government of India has various scholarship schemes to cover tuition fees, living expenses, and other related costs.
The Indian government has been providing scholarships to students for many years to study abroad. In this guide, we will list the top 6 scholarships for studying abroad by the Indian government.
Fulbright-Nehru Master’s Fellowship
The Fulbright-Nehru Master’s Fellowship is a merit and need-based Indian government scholarship to provide outstanding Indian students an opportunity to pursue a master’s degree program at selected colleges and universities in the U.S. It is a one or two-year fellowship for students who have leadership qualities, have done the U.S equivalent bachelor’s degree, and have a minimum of three years of professional work experience.
The candidate must choose one field of study that matches their area of interest from Arts and Culture Management, Economics, Environmental Science, Higher Education Administration, International Affairs, International Legal Studies, Journalism and Mass Communication, Public Administration, Public Health, Urban and Regional Planning, and Women’s Studies/Gender Studies.
Fulbright-Nehru Master’s Fellowship eligibility criteria
- The candidate must have a U.S. equivalent bachelor's degree from an acknowledged Indian university with a minimum of 55% marks.
- The candidate must have a minimum of three year's full-time (paid) professional work experience relevant to the specified field of study.
- The candidate should have leadership qualities and community service experience.
- The candidate must not be enrolled in a U.S. degree program or have another degree from any U.S. university.
- The candidate, if employed, should follow the instructions carefully regarding the employer's endorsement.
- Funding for tuition fees, living, and other associated expenses
- J-1 visa support
- Round-trip economy class air travel from the candidate's home city to the U.S.
- Accident and sickness coverage as per the guidelines of the U.S. government.
Besides Fulbright-Nehru Master’s Fellowships, the Indian government also partners with the same foundation to provide two other scholarships. These are:
- Fulbright-Kalam Climate Fellowship for Indian Ph.D. students
- Fulbright-Nehru Doctoral Research Fellowships for Indian Ph.D. students
National Overseas Scholarship
The Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment launched the National Overseas Scholarship to promote social and economic justice. This scholarship facilitates low-income students from Scheduled Castes, Scheduled Tribes, Landless Agricultural Labourers, and Traditional Artisans to pursue Master's Degrees, Ph.D., and Post-Doctoral courses abroad.
National Overseas Scholarship eligibility criteria
- The candidate should not be more than 35 years old.
- The candidate must have scored a minimum of 60% in the qualifying examination. The Bachelor's degree is the qualifying examination for the Master's Degree course, and Master's Degree is the qualifying examination for the Ph.D. courses.
- The family income from all sources should be less than INR 8,00,000 in the previous financial year.
- The scholarship can be awarded to a maximum of two members of the family.
- 30% of seats are reserved for female candidates.
- Tuition fees, visa fees, book costs, and living expenses
- Medical insurance premium
- Poll tax
- Air tickets and incidental journey allowance
- Maintenance fee
- Contingency allowance
The JN Tata Endowment – Higher Education of Indians
The J. N. Tata Endowment awards a one-time loan scholarship to Indian students for pursuing full-time Postgraduate, Ph.D., Postdoctoral, and Research fellowships abroad. The loan amount ranges between INR 1,00,000 to INR 10,00,000. It does not cover the whole cost of studies; however, selected scholars may obtain a partial travel grant of up to INR 50,000.
The candidates have to undergo an online test and interview to be eligible for selection. The online test is not subject-specific; it is based on the Thinking Skills Assessment (TSA). The rigorous technical interview evaluates the candidate's understanding of current and future subjects. The final selection depends on the candidate's test score, interview performance, and academic results scores.
The JN Tata Endowment Scholarship eligibility criteria
- The candidate should be an Indian citizen and below 45 years of age.
- The candidate must have a graduate degree from a recognized Indian university with a minimum of 60% marks.
- Candidates who could not avail of the loan scholarship previously are also eligible to apply.
- Scholarship loan ranging between INR 1,00,000 and INR 10,00,000.
- Partial travel grant of up to INR 50,000.
- Gift award worth INR 2,00,000 to INR 7,50,000.
Erasmus Mundus Joint Master Degree
Erasmus Mundus Joint Master Degrees are Masters's level study programs, and the EU provides funding to award scholarships to Indian students to pursue these programs. An EMJM study program is designed and delivered by an international partnership of higher education institutions (HEIs). An EMJM involves at least three HEIs from three different countries (two countries must be EU member states). As a result, it gives the students a chance to study in at least two European countries. The scholarship covers the tuition fees, air travel, insurance premium, and living expenses, but the scholarship amount depends on the country and the selected course.
Erasmus Mundus Joint Master Degree eligibility criteria
- The candidate must be an Indian national.
- The candidate should not have resided in any European country for more than a year in the last five years.
- The candidate should not have been awarded a similar scholarship under the Erasmus Mundus Action 2 scheme.
- The candidate should have a bachelor's degree and relevant work experience.
- Monthly stipend of up to 1500 Euros
- Full tuition fee.
- Traveling allowance.
- Round-trip air travel
- Job Visa after completing Master’s/Ph.D.
Lady Meherbai D Tata Education Scholarship
The Lady Meherbai D Tata Education Trust awards scholarships to Indian women graduates supporting their tuition fee for pursuing higher education abroad. The shortlisted candidates will have to attend a personal or an online interview with the board of trustees to be considered for the scholarship. The scholarship awards INR 3,60,000 as a tuition fee component per selected candidate, depending on the candidate's performance in the interview. The selected candidate has to submit a copy of the 'Financial Capacity' document, reflecting her ability to support her education.
The Lady Meherbai D Tata Education Trust awards scholarships for Sociology, Psychology, Law (specializing in issues related to women and children related issues), Education, Gender studies (domestic violence and other issues concerning Indian women), Child health, Mental health, Public health, Needs of adolescents, Communication for development, Community Development, Rural Development, Public Policy, Public Administration, and Social work in areas like Women in Prison.
Lady Meherbai D Tata Education Scholarship eligibility criteria
- The candidate must be a female Indian citizen.
- The candidate must be a graduate of a reputed university with an excellent academic record.
- The candidate must have applied or secured admission to reputed U.S., U.K., or Europe universities.
- The candidate must have a minimum of two years of relevant work experience.
- A tuition fee of up to INR 3,60,000
Agatha Harrison Memorial Fellowship
Ms. Agatha Harrison Memorial Fellowship is a fully funded Government scholarship for one candidate to study at St. Antony College, Oxford University London. The fellowship is exclusively administered by the HRD Ministry and is primarily targeted at students interested in pursuing an academic career in History, Political Science, and Economics.
Agatha Harrison Memorial Fellowship eligibility criteria
- The candidate must be a permanent citizen of India.
- The candidate should be between 30 to 40 years of age.
- The candidate should have scored a minimum of 60% marks at the Master's degree level.
- The candidate should have a Ph.D. degree in the subject field or published works of equal merit.
- The candidate must have a specialization in history, economics, or political science.
- The candidate should have at least three years of teaching experience at the Graduate or Postgraduate level.
- Round-trip economy class airfare for the candidate and spouse (if the spouse stays in the U.K. for one year).
- Travel allowance
- College lunch allowance
- Administration charges
Summary of the Top 6 scholarships for studying abroad by Indian government
|Fulbright-Nehru Master’s Fellowship|
|National Overseas Scholarship|
|The JN Tata Endowment – Higher Education of Indians|
|Erasmus Mundus Joint Master Degree|
|Lady Meherbai D Tata Education Scholarship|
|Agatha Harrison Memorial Fellowship|
Frequently Asked Questions
Who administers the Agatha Harrison Memorial Fellowship?
The Agatha Harrison Memorial fellowship is exclusively administered by the HRD Ministry and is primarily targeted at students interested in pursuing an academic career in History, Political Science, and Economics.
What is the loan amount in J. N. Tata Endowment?
The J. N. Tata Endowment awards a one-time loan scholarship ranging between INR 1,00,000 to INR 10,00,000.
What are the benefits of the Fulbright-Nehru Master’s Fellowship?
The benefits of the Fulbright-Nehru Master’s Fellowship include tuition fees, living expenses, J-1 visa support, round-trip air travel, and accident and sickness coverage.
Does Lady Meherbai D Tata Education Trust award scholarships to male students?
No, the Lady Meherbai D Tata Education Trust does not award scholarships to male students. It awards scholarships to only Indian women graduates supporting their tuition fee for pursuing higher education abroad.