When we think of higher education abroad, the USA is still the first thing that comes to our minds. Most of the top-ranked universities and institutes are from this country. While the educational quality that they provide is top-notch, many applicants fear the cost of living and studies there.
So, in this article, let us have a look at everything you need to know if you are planning to pursue your MS in the USA. But, why the country’s education is still in-demand? Let us know the reason!
- Why should you pursue MS in the USA?
- Top-ranked universities to study MS in the USA
- Entry requirements for Master’s in the USA
- How can you apply for pursuing a Master’s degree in the US?
- How can you manage the cost of studying in the US?
- Job prospects after completing MS degree
Why should you pursue MS in the USA?
Here are the top reasons why students and study abroad enthusiasts globally prefer the USA as the first choice of their higher education plans:
- The universities and colleges in the United States of America offer over 2 million MS courses in the USA to choose from.
- They are the pioneers in offering a work-study program, which provides the flexibility to earn and take care of basic expenses while studying!
- The merit-based scholarships provided by the colleges are wide-ranging. This makes them a tool of encouragement for students to work harder on their studies and offers a warm welcome for the applicants globally.
- The course curriculum is structured so that it has pre-requisites, core areas and electives. This gives the students space and the choice to pursue research or teaching assisting studies when they complete their MS studies!
- Global experience- Of course, students' exposure when they study in international schools with a high reputation!
Top-ranked universities to pursue MS in the USA
Now that we know the value of pursuing an MS degree in the United States, shall we know where to apply if we want to build the best academic portfolio? Here are the best universities and their courses for MS in the USA!
|University name||Top courses offered in MS degree||Annual tuition fee||Acceptance rate|
|Harvard University||MS in Biotechnology||$23,116||5%|
|Stanford University||MS in Business||$67,354||3.9%|
|Princeton University||MS in Electrical and Computer engineering||$40,664||5.5%|
|Yale University||MS in Social sciences||$41,728||7%|
|Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)||MS in Engineering and Physical Sciences||$17,145||7%|
|University of Pennsylvania (UPenn)||MS in Business||$54,613||9%|
|Cornell University||MS in Management||$19,928||11%|
|University of Michigan||MS in Computer and Information Sciences||$20,506||26%|
|University of Chicago||MS in Mathematics and Statistics||$18,904||7%|
|University of Texas, Austin||MS in Business and Communication||$41,485||18%|
|Arizona State University||MS in Physics||$45,555||10%|
|Columbia University||MS in Political Science||$66,691||20%|
|University of California, Los Angeles||MS in Theater and Film||$65,903||14%|
|University of California, Berkeley||MS in Civil Engineering||$25,731||16.3%|
|Boston University||MS in Communication and Journalism||$58,560||22.1%|
Entry requirements to study Master's in the USA
Most colleges and universities in the United States have set some requirements to apply and study in their institutions. Check out these essential points to be noted while studying MS in the USA.
- Three to fours years of undergraduate or bachelor's degree in the relevant field.
- 75%-90% score equivalent in UG or GPA score above 3.5
- GRE score of 320 and above
- TOEFL score of 90 and above
- A strong SOP pertinent to the course you are applying for and the university.
- Published research papers/ internship accreditation
- Project work details
- 2-3 LORs
- Co-curricular accomplishments
How can you apply to pursue a Master's degree in the USA?
- Firstly, know about the intakes sessions happening in the US universities and decide which intake you are applying for.
- Then give your GRE/ TOEFL exams within the application time frame of the intake.
- Once everything is set, start applying to 6-10 universities with eligibility criteria according to your bachelor's and GRE scores.
- Finally, ensure that the courses are accredited, and the university's course curriculum meets the prescribed educational standards.
How can you manage the cost of studying in the US?
This is one of the students' significant and primary concerns while planning their education in the US. But, the universities offer them diverse options to get highly flexible and student-friendly funding! So, here are a few ideas to keep you out of being broke!
- Scholarships: As you may be well aware, this is generally the most preferred option by the students! Scholarships are awarded based on their curricular or co-curricular accomplishments.
- Educational loans: While planning to pursue MS in the USA, you can apply for higher education loans which you will need to pay back after kickstarting your career phase.
- Personal funds: Students who plan for a more extended stay in the USA are funded mainly by their families and relatives who are a resident of the country. This option is the most chosen by the people supporting their children to study abroad as this will be a trusted way of financial support.
- International organisations: Various organisations and groups like the WHO provide financial assistance to international students pursuing their studies in the USA. This step will encourage cultural diversity in the US education bubble.
Apart from these ways, you can apply for part-time jobs to help you manage money while you study. You can also apply for careers within the university, such as teaching assistance or research assistance and write for a few fellowships. You can try applying for external scholarships from a firm like Common Wealth!
Job prospects after completing your MS degree
After completing your master's in the US, the recognition and the value the certificate holds will take you through diverse and wide-ranging job opportunities. Those job prospects and internship opportunities not only fill your pockets with a considerable amount of greens but also get you landed in some of the top-notch firms! Here are some courses that take you to the perfect job role that pays you a decent salary!
|Top courses||Popular job roles||Average salary|
|Finance||Budget analysts, Auditors, Accountants||$89,330|
|Computer science||Network architects, Programmers, System analysts||$79,793|
|Management||HR Manager, Business Development and Project manager||$77,000|
|Data science||Statistical analyst, Data engineer and Data analyst||$77,790|
|Civil engineering||Geotechnical engineers, Structural engineers and Transportation engineers||$72,201|
|Public health||Research associate, Health educator||$60,517|
|Marketing||Marketing director and marketing specialist||$65,779|
|Information systems||IT manager, Software developer||$85,513|
Here is a list of firms that welcomes MS graduates of the USA with a wide salary range!
|Top organisations||Annual pay range|
|Lockheed Martin Corp||$67,000-$142,000|
|Northrop Grumman Corp||$73,000-$150,000|
1. How much does MS in the USA cost?
A: The annual tuition fee for pursuing MS varies according to the respective universities. Generally, in this 2-year program, the cost ranges from $40,000-$90,000.
2. Is MS in the USA free?
A: Generally, it is not. But suppose you are fortunate enough to claim the full-time scholarship or the Dean’s scholarship offered to the exceptional applicants, then yea. In that case, you are a person availing a professional degree for free! Meanwhile, you can apply to various scholarships offered by the institutes. This will cut the tuition cost to a certain extent.
3. How long does an MS in the USA take to complete the program?
A: The duration of the MS program for most of the courses is 1.5-2 years. But a few majors like engineering in Computer science can take up to 3-5 years.
So, I hope that you find this article helpful in guiding you to your dream university in the USA. Still, need to know the process further? Then connect with edvoy today!