How does the meaning of college in the UK differ from the USA? 

Updated on: Aug 31, 2023

Click here and sign up to explore top universities and get free expert guidance!

In the UK, the term "college" typically refers to a tertiary educational institution that offers further education courses, vocational training, and professional qualifications, usually for students aged 16 and older. These colleges often offer a range of courses from basic literacy and numeracy to more specialised vocational courses such as catering, construction, and hairdressing. Colleges in the UK are generally considered to be a part of the wider education system, and are often publicly funded.

In the USA, the term "college" generally refers to a four-year undergraduate program of study that awards a bachelor's degree. US Universities often have multiple colleges within them, such as the College of Arts and Sciences, College of Engineering, etc. In the US, colleges are generally considered to be distinct institutions from universities, which offer both undergraduate and graduate programs.

Overall, the meaning of "college" can differ between the UK and the USA, with the UK using the term more broadly to refer to a wider range of educational institutions, while in the US, the term tends to be more closely associated with undergraduate education.

Read more: