Do international students get jobs in the US after residency? 

Updated on: Aug 1, 2023

International students in the US may be eligible to work in the country after completing their studies, but it depends on a variety of factors, including their visa status, qualifications, and job opportunities.

International students can obtain a work visa, such as an H-1B visa, if they are sponsored by an employer. However, H-1B visas are highly competitive and subject to a lottery system, which can make it difficult for international students to secure a visa. Additionally, certain industries and job roles may be more open to sponsoring international students than others.

Another option for international students is to apply for Optional Practical Training (OPT), which allows them to work in their field of study for up to 12 months (or up to 36 months for certain STEM fields) after completing their degree. During this time, students can gain valuable work experience and potentially be sponsored for a work visa by their employer.

Ultimately, the ability of international students to secure a job in the US after completing their studies will depend on a variety of factors, including their qualifications, job opportunities, and visa status. It is important for international students to be proactive in their job search and to seek out resources and support from their university’s career centre and other organisations that assist international students with job placement.