Most things in the real world are complex, from biological systems to the financial markets to industrial processes, but explaining them is essential to making progress. This Applied Mathematics MRes will equip you with the tools to understand many of these systems.
This programme involves both taught classes in Applied Mathematics and a substantial MRes thesis which accounts for almost two-thirds of the total degree.
The MRes is an ideal preparation for entry into a PhD programme. Indeed, the MRes programme can be used as the first phase of our fast track PhD programme. This is an excellent option for well-qualified mathematics students who do not have all the necessary mathematical background to start immediately on a PhD in their area of choice. In the fast track programme the MRes thesis is extended over a further period of two years into a PhD thesis.
You will be assigned a project supervisor who will act as director and mentor in the preparation of the MRes thesis. This gives each student the opportunity to work one-to-one with mathematicians who are international experts in their fields.
In addition to the assessed elements of the course, students are expected to play a full part in the research life of the School. The School has an active seminar programme, and organises international conferences in all areas of mathematics.
Why Study Applied Mathematics MRes at Birmingham?
- The University of Birmingham is one of the prestigious Russell group research-intensive Universities in the UK. The School of Mathematics attracts gifted graduate students from across the world.
- The School collaborates widely with multiple disciplines, including Biological and Medical Sciences, Chemical Engineering and within industry. In particular, Birmingham is an emerging centre for multidisciplinary Biological Systems Science research, and is in a unique position, being adjacent to one of the largest super-hospitals in Europe, catering for a highly diverse population.
- The programme is specifically tailored to develop students from a strong mathematics background into becoming genuinely multidisciplinary scientists. You will have the opportunity to develop your mathematical skills, whilst at the same time being trained in solving real-world problems and working in a team. You will learn how to diversify your skills into other fields, and how to work with research leaders and other students from different disciplines.
- The internationally recognised School of Mathematics collaborates widely with multiple disciplines and industries
- Learn from world leaders in their fields.
- Obtain a qualification that is respected the world over and make you an attractive prospect in a very competitive job market.
This programme gives comprehensive training in mathematics and areas appropriate to professional development and research foundations. The MRes is an ideal preparation for entry into the PhD programme at Birmingham. In fact, the MRes programme can be used as the first phase of our 'Fast-track' PhD programme.
University Careers Network
Preparation for your career should be one of the first things you think about as you start university. Whether you have a clear idea of where your future aspirations lie or want to consider the broad range of opportunities available once you have a Birmingham degree, our Careers Network can help you achieve your goal.
Our unique careers guidance service is tailored to your academic subject area, offering a specialised team (in each of the five academic colleges) who can give you expert advice. Our team source exclusive work experience opportunities to help you stand out amongst the competition, with mentoring, global internships and placements available to you.