Our Pharmacy PhD/MSc by Research in the School of Pharmacy aims to equip graduates with the skills necessary to contribute to a research portfolio encompassing pharmacy practice, pharmaceutics and medicinal chemistry and drug discovery.
As part of the School of Pharmacy, students will work amongst the very best researchers to produce original and distinctive globally leading research demanded by the expanding role of the pharmacist and pharmaceutical researcher.
Our PhD/MSc by Research program is intended for students who wish to obtain high quality research training that will enable them to conduct independent investigative research.
You can choose from a range of research areas within Pharmacy covering:
- Pharmacy Practice
- Medicinal Chemistry and Drug Discovery
Why study this course?
When you join your programme you will become part of the Graduate School within the College of Medical and Dental Sciences giving you access to:
- Supervision from leading academics to support you through your research programme including research techniques and training.
- Training and development courses to enable you to gain research and generic (transferable) training skills
- Opportunities to attend and take part in Research Poster festivals and other postgraduate activities to boost your academic and networking skills
- An allocated academic mentor so you can access pastoral support
- State-of-the art facilities to support a range of teaching, learning and research activity with access to dedicated write up rooms, libraries, and computer facilities.
The University of Birmingham is the The Times and The Sunday Times University of the Year for Graduate Employment 2016. This coveted accolade places Birmingham as the UK’s number one university for securing a graduate-level job. We have a global reputation for producing sought after graduates and are:
- 4th for employability in the Guardian University Guide 2017.
- the 11th most targeted university by leading employers in the 2016 High Fliers Graduate Market report.
- ranked as 65th in the world for employer reputation by QS World University rankings.
- listed as 12th in the UK in The Global Employability University Ranking 2016. The rankings illustrate the top 150 universities most frequently selected by global employers.
In the College of Medical and Dental Sciences our average Graduate Employability rate is 97% since 2012. A high proportion of our postgraduate research students go onto roles such as Postdoctoral Researcher, Teaching Fellow, Research Fellow within the University and local NHS hospitals as well as moving into pharmaceutical and research and development sectors.