From developing effective vaccines to bringing about advances in DNA forensics, molecular and cellular biology has been behind many modern scientific breakthroughs. If you have a passion for biology, an enquiring mind and you’re looking for a course that could set you up for a broad range of careers in industry or academia, then this could be just the course for you.
- 92.06% of responders to the National Student Survey 2022 agreed that they have been able to access course-specific resources (e.g. equipment, facilities, software, collections) when they needed to.
- This course is accredited by the Royal Society of Biology.
- Studying on our Biology (Molecular and Cellular) BSc(Hons) degree you’ll be able to get a well-rounded introduction to biological sciences. Covering topics across biochemistry, genetics and cell biology, you’ll have the chance to build your understanding of the molecular explanations for life processes.
- You’ll be taught by academics with doctoral-level expertise in their subject areas through a combination of lectures, in-depth tutorials and sessions in our modern biological sciences labs. Here, you’ll get to use modern scientific instrumentation and have the chance to develop practical skills that will stand you in good stead wherever your career path takes you.
- As you progress, you’ll have the chance to delve deeper into the subjects you’re interested in by choosing from a list of optional modules. In your third year, we’ll give you the opportunity to take a work placement where you could gain valuable experience and start to apply the knowledge you’re acquiring on the course to dynamic real-world projects and situations. It’s all designed to help you stand out from the crowd and boost your employability once you graduate.
- As a student on this course you’ll be able to apply for undergraduate membership of the Biochemical Society and The Physiological Society (UK). You’ll also be eligible for student affiliate membership of the Royal Society of Biology and upon successful graduation be eligible to apply for one year associate membership, this can help open up networks at a crucial time when applying for jobs.