During your MPhil, we will train you in rigorous research methodologies that are transferable to many different careers. Our Postgraduate Research Development programme allows you to learn alongside other candidates, building up a network of potential collaborators in research projects.
There is no doubt that research degrees require persistence and dedication. At the same time, they are excellent opportunities to develop your critical skills and high-level thinking. Most important of all, they allow you to focus on what you find interesting and to follow your personal research interests.
- Compared to a PhD, an MPhil requires fewer years of study – as few as two years compared to at least three years for a PhD
- You can often convert your MPhil into a PhD and continue your research
- We're ranked 2nd in the UK for students’ overall satisfaction with their research degree programme according to the Postgraduate Research Experience Survey 2018
- An MPhil thesis is typically 20,000-40,000 words while a PhD thesis is up to 80,000 words, depending on the subject area
- You have an option to study this programme at our Sunderland campus or via distance learning