Table of Contents
- Why use GRE quantitative books to prepare for the exam
- 8 best books for preparing for the GRE quantitative section
- 1. ETS Official GRE Quantitative Reasoning by Educational Testing Service
- 2. GRE Math Workbook by Kaplan Test Prep
- 3. Math Workout for the GRE by Princeton Review
- 4. Master the GRE Quantitative Reasoning by Peterson's
- 5. GRE Math Bible by Jeff Kolby
- 6. Barron's GRE Math Workbook by Blair Madore
- 7. McGraw-Hill Education Conquering GRE Math by Robert E. Moyer
- 8. GRE Math Prep Course by Jeff Kolby and Derrick Vaughn
- How to study for the GRE quantitative section
- Frequently asked questions
Preparing for the GRE quantitative section requires a solid foundation in mathematical concepts and the ability to apply them effectively. To effectively prepare and improve your performance, having access to the right study materials is essential.
One of the most effective ways to prepare for the GRE is through GRE quantitative books. These books offer comprehensive content coverage, practice questions, detailed explanations, and test-taking strategies to help you succeed in the quantitative section of the GRE.
Whether you are looking to reinforce your maths skills, familiarise yourself with question formats, or enhance your problem-solving abilities, these books are excellent resources to guide you on your GRE quantitative preparation journey.
In this article, we will explore the eight best books that can help you prepare for the GRE quantitative section.
Why use GRE quantitative books to prepare for the exam
GRE quantitative books are highly beneficial for several reasons:
- Comprehensive content review - GRE quantitative books provide a comprehensive review of the math concepts and topics that are tested on the exam. They cover the essential arithmetic, algebra, geometry, and data analysis concepts, ensuring that you have a solid foundation in these areas.
- Structured learning - These books are organised in a structured manner, allowing you to progress from basic to advanced topics. They often provide a step-by-step approach to understanding and solving different types of quantitative questions, making it easier to follow along and grasp the material.
- Test-taking strategies - Many GRE quantitative books include valuable test-taking strategies and tips. These strategies can help you approach different question types, manage your time effectively, and make educated guesses when necessary.
- Confidence building - Working through GRE quantitative books and practising the questions within them can boost your confidence. As you become more familiar with the content, question formats, and problem-solving techniques, you will feel more prepared and self-assured on test day.
- Flexibility and convenience - GRE quantitative books are portable and can be accessed at any time. You can study and practice wherever you go, allowing for flexible and convenient preparation.
Also read: Books for GRE preparation
8 best books for preparing for the GRE quantitative section
When it comes to preparing for the GRE quantitative section, having reliable study materials is crucial for success. Here are eight highly recommended books that can help you effectively prepare for the quantitative section of the GRE:
1. ETS Official GRE Quantitative Reasoning by Educational Testing Service
This book is published by the creators of the GRE, making it an authoritative resource. It provides in-depth coverage of all the maths concepts tested on the GRE and includes practice questions and explanations. Additionally, it offers valuable insights into the test structure and question formats.
2. GRE Math Workbook by Kaplan Test Prep
Kaplan's GRE Math Workbook focuses specifically on the maths concepts tested on the GRE. It provides a comprehensive overview of the topics covered in the quantitative section and offers numerous practice questions with detailed explanations. The book also includes strategies for approaching different types of quantitative questions.
3. Math Workout for the GRE by Princeton Review
This book is tailored specifically for GRE maths preparation. It offers a comprehensive review of the maths concepts tested on the exam, along with targeted practice questions. The book also provides strategies and shortcuts to help you solve problems efficiently, making it a useful resource for boosting your quantitative skills.
4. Master the GRE Quantitative Reasoning by Peterson's
This book offers a comprehensive review of the maths topics tested in the GRE quantitative section. It includes practice questions and detailed explanations to reinforce your understanding. The book also provides test-taking strategies and tips to help you approach quantitative problems with confidence. Additionally, it features online access to additional practice tests and resources.
5. GRE Math Bible by Jeff Kolby
This book offers a concise yet comprehensive review of the maths concepts and strategies needed to excel in the GRE quantitative section. It covers all the major maths topics tested on the GRE and provides ample practice questions to reinforce your understanding. The book also offers tips and strategies for solving different types of quantitative questions.
6. Barron's GRE Math Workbook by Blair Madore
This workbook is designed specifically for the quantitative section of the GRE. It provides a thorough review of the maths concepts tested on the exam and includes practice questions with detailed explanations. The book also offers helpful strategies and tips for tackling quantitative problems efficiently.
7. McGraw-Hill Education Conquering GRE Math by Robert E. Moyer
This book offers a comprehensive review of the maths topics tested on the GRE. It covers everything from arithmetic and algebra to geometry and data analysis. The book includes practice questions, quizzes, and strategies to help you improve your maths skills and perform well on the quantitative section of the GRE.
8. GRE Math Prep Course by Jeff Kolby and Derrick Vaughn
This book provides a comprehensive maths review for the GRE quantitative section. It covers the essential concepts and skills required for success and includes practice problems with detailed explanations. The book also offers test-taking strategies and tips to help you maximise your score.
How to study for the GRE quantitative section
Studying for the GRE quantitative section requires a focused approach to building a solid foundation in mathematical concepts and developing problem-solving skills. Here are some specific strategies and tips to help you prepare effectively for the GRE quantitative section:
1. Understand the content
Familiarise yourself with the topics covered in the GRE quantitative section. The test primarily focuses on arithmetic, algebra, geometry, and data analysis. Review these areas and make sure you have a solid understanding of the fundamental concepts, formulas, and problem-solving techniques associated with each topic.
2. Learn the question formats
Become familiar with the different question formats commonly found in the GRE quantitative section. These include multiple-choice questions, quantitative comparison questions, and numeric entry questions. Understanding the structure and requirements of each question type will help you approach them effectively during the exam.
3. Review the mathematical concepts
Review the core mathematical concepts that frequently appear on the GRE. Make sure you have a strong grasp of topics such as arithmetic, algebra, geometry, and data interpretation. Create a study plan that allocates time for each topic, focusing on areas where you need more practice.
4. Utilise official GRE materials
The Educational Testing Service (ETS), the organisation that administers the GRE, provides official practice materials that closely resemble the actual test. Use these resources to familiarise yourself with the types of questions, difficulty level, and time constraints. The Official Guide to the GRE General Test and the GRE Math Review are highly recommended resources.
5. Solve a variety of problems
The GRE quantitative section presents a range of problems, including arithmetic word problems, algebraic equations, geometry proofs, and data interpretation. Work on a diverse set of practice questions to gain exposure to different problem types and enhance your problem-solving skills.
6. Focus on problem-solving strategies
Rather than solely relying on your maths knowledge, focus on developing efficient problem-solving strategies. Learn to identify key information, break down complex problems into manageable steps, and use estimation and approximation techniques when necessary. Developing these strategies will help you save time and avoid getting stuck on difficult questions.
7. Master essential GRE formulas
Memorise and understand key mathematical formulas, including those related to arithmetic, algebra, geometry, and statistics. Practice applying these formulas to solve problems efficiently, saving time during the exam.
8. Develop mental maths skills
The GRE allows the use of a basic calculator, but it's still important to develop mental math skills. Practice performing calculations mentally, estimating answers, and simplifying expressions to save time and minimise the risk of making errors.
9. Review data interpretation
The GRE quantitative section often includes questions that require interpreting data from graphs, charts, and tables. Practice analysing and interpreting such data to sharpen your skills in this area. Pay attention to details, understand the relationships between variables, and practice drawing conclusions based on the provided information.
10. Utilise online resources
Take advantage of the various online resources available for GRE quantitative preparation. Websites and apps offer interactive lessons, video tutorials, practice questions, and simulated exams. These resources can provide additional guidance and help you become comfortable with the computer-based format of the GRE.
Each of these 8 GRE quantitative books offers comprehensive content, practice questions, and strategies to enhance your problem-solving abilities. By investing time and effort in studying these books, you'll be equipped with the necessary skills and knowledge to tackle the quantitative section of the GRE with confidence and achieve your desired score.
Frequently asked questions
Are GRE quantitative books sufficient for preparing for the GRE quantitative section?
GRE quantitative books are an essential part of your preparation, providing a comprehensive content review, practice questions, and strategies. However, it is recommended to supplement your study with other resources like online practice tests and additional study materials to ensure a well-rounded preparation.
How do I choose the right GRE quantitative book for my preparation?
Consider factors such as the book's reputation, content coverage, practice questions, answer explanations, and user reviews. It's also helpful to align the book's approach and difficulty level with your skill level and study preferences.
Can GRE quantitative books help improve my problem-solving skills?
Yes, GRE quantitative books offer a variety of practice questions with detailed explanations. By consistently working through these problems and understanding the provided solutions, you can enhance your problem-solving abilities and become more comfortable with the math concepts tested on the GRE.