Rescheduling the GRE can become a necessity for various reasons, such as personal emergencies or unforeseen circumstances. Understanding the rescheduling process can help you navigate the situation with ease and minimal stress.
In this guide, we will provide essential information and step-by-step instructions on how to reschedule the GRE effectively.
Whether you need to postpone your exam or find an alternative test centre, this guide will assist you in rescheduling your GRE without any unnecessary complications.
Can you reschedule your GRE test?
Yes, it is possible to reschedule your GRE test. ETS allows you to reschedule their exam appointments if needed. Rescheduling can be done through your ETS account on the official GRE website. By following the rescheduling process outlined by ETS, you can change your test date or find an alternative test centre that suits your needs.
Keep in mind that rescheduling may be subject to availability and may incur a rescheduling fee. It is important to review the ETS website or contact ETS directly for the most accurate and up-to-date information regarding rescheduling options for the GRE.
Also read: GRE test day: Proven tips and strategies
When to reschedule your GRE test
Deciding when to reschedule your GRE test is an important consideration that depends on your circumstances and needs. Here are a few situations in which you might consider rescheduling:
1. Insufficient preparation time
If you feel that you haven't had enough time to adequately prepare for the exam and you don't feel confident in your readiness, rescheduling can give you more time to study and improve your chances of achieving a higher score.
2. Personal or health issues
Unexpected personal or health issues can arise that may affect your ability to perform your best on the test day. In such cases, rescheduling can allow you to prioritise your well-being or address personal matters before taking the exam.
3. Test anxiety or nervousness
If you experience severe test anxiety or nervousness that can significantly impact your performance, rescheduling may be a viable option. It can provide you with additional time to work on managing test-related anxiety and help you approach the exam with a more composed mindset.
4. Conflicting obligations
If you have other important commitments or obligations on the scheduled test date, such as work-related responsibilities, family events, or educational commitments, rescheduling can help you better manage your time and priorities.
5. Suboptimal practice test scores
If your practice test scores consistently fall below your target score, rescheduling can allow you to continue studying and improve your performance before attempting the exam.
How much does it cost to reschedule the GRE?
The cost of rescheduling the GRE varies depending on the timeframe within which you choose to reschedule.
- Rescheduling 4 or more days before the test date: $50.
- Rescheduling within 3 days of the test date: You cannot reschedule within this timeframe. If you still wish to change your test date, you would need to forfeit the full test fee and register for a new test.
How to reschedule GRE: A step-by-step guide
Whether you need to change your test date or find a new test centre, this step-by-step guide will provide you with a comprehensive understanding of the process, ensuring a smooth and hassle-free experience.
Step 1: Log in to your ETS account
To initiate the rescheduling process, log in to your ETS (Educational Testing Service) account on the official GRE website. Use your username and password to access your account.
Step 2: Access the "My GRE" page
Once logged in, navigate to the "My GRE" page. Here, you will find an overview of your upcoming GRE test appointments, including your current test date and location.
Step 3: Select the "Reschedule" option
On the "My GRE" page, locate the specific test appointment you wish to reschedule. Click on the "Reschedule" option next to that appointment.
Step 4: Check test availability
The system will present you with available test dates and centres. Choose the option that best fits your needs and preferences. Keep in mind that availability may vary depending on location and testing demand.
Step 5: Confirm your rescheduled test appointment
After selecting a new test date and centre, review the details carefully. Ensure that the information is accurate and matches your requirements. If everything is in order, confirm your rescheduled test appointment.
Step 6: Pay the rescheduling fee (if applicable)
In some cases, a rescheduling fee may apply. The system will prompt you to make the necessary payment if there is a fee associated with rescheduling.
Step 7: Receive confirmation
Once you have completed the rescheduling process, you will receive a confirmation of your new test appointment. This confirmation will include details such as the test date, time, and location. Make sure to save or print this confirmation for your reference.
Step 8: Cancel your original test appointment (if applicable)
If you have successfully rescheduled your GRE, you may need to cancel your original test appointment to avoid any confusion. Follow the instructions provided by ETS to cancel the original appointment, if necessary.
Also read: GRE eligibility criteria
- It is advisable to initiate the rescheduling process as soon as you know you need to make a change. Test dates and centres can fill up quickly, especially during peak periods.
- Be aware of any rescheduling fees that may apply. These fees vary depending on the time frame and frequency of rescheduling, so it's essential to review the ETS website or contact ETS directly for the most up-to-date information.
- Keep in mind that rescheduling options may be subject to availability, so it is advisable to be flexible with your preferences.
How to reschedule GRE test dates online
To reschedule your GRE test dates online, follow these steps:
- Log in to your ETS account on the official GRE website. Use your username and password to access your account.
- On the "My GRE" page, locate the specific test appointment you want to reschedule and click on the "Reschedule" option next to it.
- Review the available test dates and centres presented to you. Select a new test date and centre that suits your preferences and schedule.
- Once you have chosen a new test date and centre, carefully review the details of your rescheduled appointment. Ensure that all the information is accurate and matches your requirements.
- If applicable, pay the rescheduling fee. ETS typically charges a fee of $50 for rescheduling the GRE.
- After confirming the rescheduled test appointment, you will receive a confirmation with the new test date, time, and location.
Additional methods to reschedule your GRE
In addition to rescheduling your GRE online through your ETS account, there are a couple of other methods you can use to reschedule your test:
1. Reschedule by phone
You can contact the appropriate regional ETS customer service centre via phone and request to reschedule your GRE test. The representative will assist you in finding alternative test dates and centres based on availability. Be prepared to provide your personal information and any necessary payment details for rescheduling fees.
2. Reschedule by fax or mail
If you prefer not to reschedule online or by phone, you have the option to submit a request for rescheduling via fax or mail. Visit the ETS website and download the rescheduling form, which can be filled out and submitted through these alternative methods. Ensure that you include all the required information and any applicable payment.
You might also like
How to reschedule the paper-delivered GRE or GRE Subject Test
To reschedule the paper-delivered GRE or GRE Subject Test, follow these steps:
- Visit the official ETS website and navigate to the GRE section.
- Look for the specific page dedicated to the paper-delivered GRE or GRE Subject Test.
- Locate the "Rescheduling" or "Change Test Date" option on the webpage. Click on it to initiate the rescheduling process.
- You will be prompted to log in to your ETS account. Enter your username and password to access your account.
- Follow the instructions provided to select a new test date and location. Ensure that you choose an available option that suits your preferences and schedule.
- Review the details of your rescheduled test appointment, including the test date, time, and location. Verify that all the information is accurate and meets your requirements.
- If applicable, make the required payment for rescheduling. The rescheduling fees may vary depending on the test you are taking and the timing of the rescheduling.
- After confirming the rescheduled test appointment, you will receive a confirmation with the updated test details. Save or print this confirmation for future reference.
If you encounter any difficulties or have specific questions related to rescheduling the paper-delivered GRE or GRE Subject Test, it's recommended to contact ETS directly for assistance. They will provide you with the most accurate and up-to-date information regarding rescheduling options and procedures for these specific tests.
Also Read: How to register for GRE TEest
Rescheduling your GRE test can be done through various methods, including online, by phone, or through fax/mail for paper-delivered GRE or GRE Subject Tests. Whether you need to change your test date, find a new test centre, or switch to a paper-delivered format, following the appropriate steps outlined by ETS is essential. Remember to stay updated with the latest information and guidelines provided by ETS to make informed decisions and successfully reschedule your GRE test.
Frequently asked questions
Can I reschedule my GRE test more than once?
Yes, you can reschedule your GRE test more than once, but keep in mind that rescheduling multiple times may incur additional fees. It is advisable to plan and choose a new test date that you are confident about to avoid frequent rescheduling.
Is there a deadline for rescheduling the GRE?
Yes, there is a deadline for rescheduling the GRE. It is recommended to check the ETS website or contact ETS directly for the specific deadline based on the test date you wish to reschedule. Rescheduling too close to the test date may not be allowed or may require forfeiting the full test fee.
How much does it cost to reschedule the GRE?
The rescheduling fee for the GRE is $50.
Can I reschedule the GRE to a different test centre?
Yes, you can reschedule the GRE to a different test centre if there are available slots at the desired location. During the rescheduling process, you will have the option to select a new test centre that suits your needs.
Can I reschedule the GRE to a different test format (paper-delivered or computer-delivered)?
Yes, you may be able to reschedule the GRE to a different test format (paper-delivered or computer-delivered) based on availability. However, it's important to note that not all test formats may be available at all test centres. Check the ETS website for information on test formats and availability.