Table of Contents
- Eligibility for the GRE exam
- What is the GRE exam?
- How to register
- Institutions that accept GRE results
Like many entrance tests, students must meet some GRE exam eligibility criteria before getting started with the registration process.
The Educational Testing Service (ETS) has very few criteria for the GRE exam so many people can take the test.
However, you must consider how the test will help your future studies and applications before checking the entrance criteria.
Students often take the GRE (Graduate Record Examination) when applying to further education courses, such as Law school or Business school.
The test can be used on your college or university applications to show your reasoning and analysis skills at the graduate level.
In this article, we look at the GRE eligibility criteria for 2022. Also, we provide further details about registration and institutions that accept the qualification.
Eligibility for the GRE exam
Currently, the GRE exam has few entrance criteria for students. Also, the ETS provides little information about who can and cannot take the test.
Although, you must have certain documents and identification to register for the exam. Without valid and in-date documents, students cannot enrol for a GRE test. Also, students could lose their test spot and fee for providing incorrect ID information.
Below, we provide more detail about the GRE exam eligibility criteria.
Students do not need any particular qualifications to take the GRE exam. But, due to the graduate academic level test questions and tasks, you are likely to need an undergraduate degree.
Generally, students who take the GRE exam are applying to postgraduate courses, such as Law or Business school. You can use the GRE alongside any university or college applications to show your ability to answer questions at the graduate level.
Furthermore, the ETS does not have any exact age requirements for the GRE exam in 2022.
Students of any age can register to take the test. However, you will need a valid ID form in your name to complete the registration process and to take the exam.
Today, most people in most parts of the world can take the GRE exam either in-person or online. Overall, students can take the test in 160 countries.
In most of these countries, the online GRE exam is available. Through this exam format, you can register and complete the exam from your computer or laptop at home.
Alternatively, students can check upcoming exam dates in their closest test centre through the ETS search tool. To find and book a test using this function, you will need an ETS account.
However, the home testing option is not currently available for students in all countries. For instance, students in mainland China; Hong Kong, China; Taiwan, China; and Korea must take the test in person at a test centre.
The GRE exam is available three times a month in certain test centre locations in these countries.
One of the most important GRE exam eligibility criteria is having an appropriate ID document. Without a valid, in-date and accurate ID document, you will not be able to take the exam.
During registration, students must enter ID document details with accurate information. Then, on test day, you show the chosen ID document and provide a matching signature.
The ID requirements for the GRE exam vary in each country. However, an acceptable document must generally meet the following criteria.
- The ID document must be an original copy. Photocopies are not accepted.
- Any copies or screenshots of the document on phones or tablets are not accepted.
- It must be a government issued document (passport, identity card or driving licence)
- Any ID must be in date. But, the ETS will accept documents up to 90 days after the expiration date.
- A full first and last name must be shown. This must exactly match the names provided during registration.
- The ID must have a recent and clear photograph.
- It must have a recognisable signature.
Occasionally, the ETS will make exceptions to the requirements above. For instance, students who have been given political asylum or refugee status can contact the ETS directly to arrange an alternative solution.
What is the GRE exam?
The GRE exam is a multiple choice and written test that students often need when applying for postgraduate courses, like Law school or Business school. Today, the test results are accepted by over 1,000 colleges, schools and universities worldwide.
The test has three sections that measure analytical writing, verbal reasoning, and quantitative reasoning skills. Each section has different tasks and time limits are also used in each part.
An unscored or research section is also included. But this does not count towards your final grade.
Below, we provide a complete overview of the exact test structure and pattern.
2 separate analysis tasks
1 x ‘analyse an issue’
1x ‘analyse an argument’
30 minutes per question.
1 hour total
|Verbal Reasoning||2 sets of 20 questions|
30 minutes per question set
1 hour total
|Quantitative Reasoning||2 sets of 20 questions|
35 minutes per question set
1 hour and 10 minutes total
|Unscored or Research||No set amount||No time limit|
How to register
Once you have met the GRE exam eligibility criteria, you can register for the exam. Currently, students can choose to register by one of the three methods below.
- ETS Website
Each method has a different process and requirements. However, students must follow some general steps to complete any of the above registration methods. These include:
- Creating an ETS account if you register online.
- Having a valid and accepted payment method. Not all payment methods are available if you register by phone or email.
- Entering accurate and valid ID information.
- Understanding the fees and possible additional costs for cancellation or rescheduling when taking the exam.
- Deciding where and when to take the test. It can be completed at home or at a test centre in most countries.
- Selecting a computer or paper exam.
- Choosing the institutions that receive your scores. You can choose up to four ‘score recipients’.
- Agreeing to the terms and conditions of the GRE test.
Institutions that accept GRE results
Worldwide, institutions in over 70 countries accept the GRE results as part of students’ application process.
Many English-speaking colleges, schools and universities accept the GRE scores as part of an application. These include schools in the United States, the United Kingdom, Europe, Africa, South America and Australia.
In addition, some of the most well-known higher education schools in the world accept the GRE results for Business and Law school.
However, not every college or university accepts the GRE exam results. Before registering for the test, you should check with your institution or the ETS about whether your preferred institution accepts the exam results.
Below, we list some of the most well-known business schools currently accepting GRE scores
- Harvard University (US)
- Stanford University (US)
- Yale University (US)
- University of Oxford (UK)
- University of Cambridge (UK)
- London Business School (UK)
- Australian National University (Australia)
- University of Sydney (Australia)
- Trinity College Dublin (Ireland)
- McMaster University (Canada)
- University of Montreal (Canada)
- University of Zurich (Switzerland)
- University Auckland (New Zealand)
- Fudan University of International MBA (China)
- Zhejiang University MBA (China)
Currently, only law schools in the United States and China accept GRE test results as part of the application. Among the law schools that accept the scores are:
- Yale Law School
- Stanford Law School
- University of Chicago Law School
- Columbia Law School
- Harvard Law School
- New York University Law School
- University of Virginia Law School
- University of California - Berkeley Law School
- Peking University School of Transnational Law (China)
What is on the GRE syllabus?
Analytical writing, verbal reasoning, and quantitative reasoning are the three areas on the GRE syllabus. You provide answers in both written form and select from multiple choices.
What are the GRE exam fees?
In 2022, the exam fees are $205.00 for most countries. But fees in India are $213.00 and $231.30 in China. Also, additional fees can apply for rescheduling or changing a test centre.
How do I complete the GRE exam registration?
Students can create an account on the ETS website and register for the GRE exam through this service. Or, you can register via telephone or email.
How many attempts can I take for the GRE test?
The ETS states that students can retake the test up to five times within a one-year period (every 365 days). Students can also retake the test every 21 days if necessary.