How to understand your GRE results and score chart 2023?

Updated on: Nov 9, 2022
Share

Understanding and analysing the GRE results can be tricky as the GRE scores are associated with percentile ranks and scored on a scale. In this guide, we will help you understand your GRE results and also explain how GRE tests are scored.

Find your dream university course today

Don't miss out

What is a GRE score?

GRE score is the total marks obtained on the GRE test. GRE scores are an important factor at the screening stage of shortlisting schools and are accepted at thousands of graduate schools. There are two types of GRE tests - General and Subject, and each test is scored differently.

A good GRE score is subjective and depends on which graduation school or school you are applying to. So, check the average GRE scores for top graduate school programs and prepare accordingly.

GRE Scores – General Test

GRE General Test has three main sections:-

  • Verbal Reasoning     
  • Quantitative Reasoning     
  • Analytical Writing

Verbal Reasoning: This section evaluates the student's ability to analyse and draw conclusions from passages. The scoring range for this section is between 130 and 170, with one-point increments.

Quantitative Reasoning: This section tests the student's ability to understand, interpret and analyze quantitative information and apply basic concepts of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, and data analysis to solve problems. The scoring range for this section is between 130 and 170, with one-point increments.

Analytical Writing: This section evaluates the student's critical thinking and analytical writing skills. The scoring range for this section is between 0 and 6, with half-point increments.

GRE Section

 

Score RangeIncrements
Verbal Reasoning130 -1701 Point Increments
Quantitative Reasoning130 -1701 Point Increments
Analytical Writing0 - 60.5 Point Increments

Find your dream university course today

Don't miss out

How the GRE tests are scored – General Tests

Verbal and Quantitative Reasoning Section

The performance of the students on the questions and the number of questions answered in the given time determines the scores in the verbal reasoning and quantitative reasoning section. The scores in this section are section-level adaptive, meaning the computer selects the second section of a measure based on the first section's performance. All the questions contribute equally to the overall score.

The total correct answers constitute a raw score, which is computed for both measures. Then, the raw score for each measure is converted to a scaled score, keeping in mind differences in difficulty levels and minor variations in different test editions. The scores are reported on 130 to 170 score scales, and if the question is unanswered, then an NS (No Score) is reported for that measure.

Scaled ScoreVerbal Reasoning  Percentile RankQuantitative Reasoning Percentile Rank
165-17096-9986-96
160-16586-9673-86
155-16068-8656-73
150-15546-6837-56
145-15026-4619-37
140-14511-267-19
135-1403-112-7
130-1351-31-2

Analytical Writing Section

The analytical writing section has 2 essay questions, and the score is calculated based on each essay question. Each essay in the analytical section of the GRE General Test receives a score in the range of 0-6 from a trained reader. The readers assign the score based on the overall quality of an essay in response to the allotted task. A computerised program developed by ETS then scores the essay based on the writing proficiency.

If the score given by the reader and the e-rater are in close range, then the average of the two scores is the final score. However, if the scores are different, another trained reader scores the essay, and then the average of the two reader's scores is the final score.

The average scores of the two essays are rounded to produce an analytical writing score on a 0 - 6 score scale in 0.5-point increments. If any of the two writing scores are unanswered, then an NS (No Score) is reported for the measure.

Score Levels

Analytical Writing Percentile

 

6.099
5.597
5.091
4.579
4.054
3.537
3.013
2.56
2.02
1.51
1.0-
0.5-
0-

Average GRE General Test scores

The average GRE General Test scores based on the GRE results of students who took the GRE General Test between July 1, 2017, and June 30, 2021 are:

  • Verbal Reasoning - 150.61  
  • Quantitative Reasoning - 154.34
  • Analytical Writing - 3.60

GRE Scores - Subject Tests

GRE Subject Tests are paper-delivered tests that are held up to three times a year (September, October, and April) at particular test centres. A committee of active teachers in each field develops and regularly updates subject tests. These tests evaluate the student's achievement in four subjects:

  • Chemistry  
  • Mathematics  
  • Physics  
  • Psychology

Chemistry: The chemistry test has approximately 130 questions on topics like analytical chemistry (15%), inorganic chemistry (25%), organic chemistry (30%), and physical chemistry (30%).

Mathematics: The mathematics test has approximately 66 questions on topics like calculus and its applications (50%), algebra (25%), and other areas of mathematics, including discrete mathematics, algorithmic processes, differential equations, probability, geometry, complex analysis, and numerical analysis (25%).

Physics: The physics test has approximately 100 questions on topics like classical mechanics (20%), electromagnetism (18%), optics and wave phenomena (9%), thermodynamics and statistical mechanics (10%), quantum mechanics (12%), atomic physics (10%), special relativity (6%), laboratory methods (6%), and nuclear, particle physics, condensed matter physics, and astrophysics (9%).

Psychology: The psychology chemistry test has approximately 205 questions on biological (17-21%), cognitive (17-24%), social (12-14%), developmental (12-14%), clinical (15-19%), and other (15-19%) topics.

GRE Subject TestsGRE Score RangeSubscores Range
Chemistry200 – 990, 10-points increments-
Mathematics200 – 990, 10-points increments-
Physics200 – 990, 10-points increments20-99, 1-point increment
Psychology200 – 990, 10-points increments20-99, 1-point increment

How the GRE tests are scored – Subject Tests

The scoring range for each GRE Subject Test is between 200 and 990, with 10-point increments. The Physics and Psychology Subject Tests have subscores on a 20-99 score scale, with one-point increments. Each subject's test score is determined by the number of correct answers and is calculated independently for each test. The total correct answers are converted to a scaled score, keeping in mind differences in difficulty levels and minor variations in different test editions.

Scaled Score

 

ChemistryMathematicsPhysicsPsychology
980--95-
960999792-
940999688-
920989585-
900869481--
880948178-
860908774-
840868370-
82081796799
80077756497
78071726195
76066675891
74061645486
72056605179
70050564772
68044524364
66039493956
64034443649
62028403243
60024362836
58019322431
56015272026
54012231622
5209191218
500615914
480511711
4603849
4402636
4201325
400-213
380-112
360-1-1
340---1
200-320----

Average GRE Subject Test scores

The average GRE Subject Test scores based on the GRE results of students who took the GRE Subject Test between July 1, 2017, and June 30, 2021 are:

  • Chemistry - 692
  • Mathematics - 668
  • Physics - 717
  • Psychology - 622

GRE score chart

The official GRE score chart will be available in the student's ETS account after 10 to 15 days from the test date. ETS will send a notification email regarding the availability of the score chart. The official GRE score chart will include the following information:

  • Personal information of the candidate, like name and address.
  • Test date
  • Course applied
  • GRE test score and percentile
  • Authorized score recipients
  • A cumulative record of the last five year's scores

The GRE results or scores are valid for five years from the test date. For example, if you took the exam on July 18th, 2022, the scores are valid till the 17th, 2027.

Frequently Asked Questions

How are the GRE Subject Tests scored?

Each subject's test score is determined by the number of correct answers, which are then converted to a scaled score. The scoring range for each GRE Subject Test is between 200 and 990, with 10-point increments. The Physics and Psychology Subject Tests have subscores on a 20-99 score scale, with one-point increments.

When will I get my GRE scores?

The official GRE scores are available in the ETS account approximately 10–15 days after your test date.

How are the scores of the GRE General Test reported on the score chart?

The score chart of the GRE General Test has scores of three sections. These are verbal reasoning score (130 – 170 score scale), quantitative reasoning score (130 – 170 score scale), and analytical writing score (0 – 6 score level).

For how long are the GRE scores valid?

The GRE results or scores are valid for five years from the test date. For example, if you took the exam on July 18th, 2022, the scores are valid till the 17th, 2027.

What are the lowest and highest marks in the quantitative and verbal reasoning sections?

The lowest score in the quantitative and verbal reasoning is 130 each, and the highest score is 170 for each section. So, the highest score you can get in the quantitative and verbal reasoning section is 340, whereas the lowest score is 260.

Please select
Please select
Please select

    Related Exams

    Resources related to IELTS