Can I stop studying in Canada and get a job? 

Updated on: Aug 1, 2023

Whether or not you can stop studying in Canada and get a job depends on a few factors:

  • If you are an international student on a study permit, you are generally allowed to work part-time (up to 20 hours per week) during the school term and full-time during scheduled breaks, such as winter and summer holidays. However, your study permit is tied to your enrollment in a designated learning institution (DLI) in Canada. If you stop studying or drop out of your program, your study permit may no longer be valid and you may be required to leave Canada.
  • If you have completed your studies and have a valid post-graduation work permit (PGWP), you may be eligible to work full-time in Canada. The length of your PGWP will depend on the length of your program of study, up to a maximum of three years. However, you will need to ensure that you meet the eligibility requirements for the PGWP, such as completing a program at a DLI and applying for the permit within 180 days of completing your program.

In any case, it is important to ensure that you comply with all Canadian immigration and work permit regulations. If you are unsure about your eligibility or have questions about the process, it may be helpful to consult with a licensed immigration consultant or lawyer.