Can a student with an F1 visa travel to India and back to the USA? 

Updated on: Nov 4, 2023

Yes, a student with an F-1 visa (U.S. student visa) can generally travel to India and back to the USA during their course of study. However, there are some important considerations to keep in mind:

  • Valid Visa: Ensure that your F-1 visa stamp in your passport is still valid when you plan to re-enter the USA. If your visa has expired or will expire before your planned return, you will need to apply for a new F-1 visa at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in India before re-entering the USA.
  • Valid Form I-20: Your Form I-20 (Certificate of Eligibility) should remain valid and be endorsed by your Designated School Official (DSO) for travel. If you have made significant changes to your program or if your program end date has passed, you may need to request an updated Form I-20 from your school.
  • Valid Passport: Ensure that your passport is valid for at least six months beyond your intended re-entry date into the USA.
  • Maintain Status: While outside the USA, it's essential to continue maintaining your F-1 status. This includes attending classes regularly and complying with all U.S. immigration regulations.
  • Documentation: Carry essential documents, including your passport, Form I-20 with travel signature, valid F-1 visa, I-901 SEVIS fee payment receipt, proof of financial support and proof of enrollment (such as transcripts or class schedules).

It's important to plan your travels carefully, ensuring that you have all the necessary documentation to re-enter the USA without any issues.