What do international students in the USA do after graduation? 

Updated on: Aug 1, 2023

After graduation, international students in the USA have several options available to them:

  • OPT: Optional Practical Training (OPT) is a program that allows international students to work in the US for up to 12 months after completing their degree. Students in certain STEM fields may be eligible for a 24-month extension.
  • H-1B Visa: The H-1B visa allows US employers to temporarily employ foreign workers in specialty occupations. International students may apply for this visa if they have a job offer from a US employer.
  • Further Education: Some international students choose to continue their education by pursuing advanced degrees or certificates. This allows them to stay in the US and gain additional skills and experience.
  • Return to Home Country: After graduation, some international students choose to return to their home country to apply their skills and knowledge in their local job market.

Entrepreneurship: Some international students choose to start their own businesses in the US. This requires them to apply for a startup visa or another type of business visa.