Studying American Studies and English Literature involves exploring the culture, history and politics of the most influential country in the world, alongside many aspects of English literature and creative writing.
Our three-year BA degree opens up a range of exciting career possibilities by helping you to develop transferable skills, which are highly valued by employers.
You will have the chance to study American history, literature, politics and culture, stretching from colonization to the presidency of Donald Trump, and a range of English literature topics from gothic and genre fiction to creative writing.
American Studies at Swansea is ranked number one in the UK for student satisfaction (NSS, Complete University Guide 2018) and English Literature is ranked seventh in the UK for research quality (REF 2014).
ENGLISH LITERATURE AND AMERICAN STUDIES EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITIES
Almost 93% of our American Studies Single and Joint Honours graduates are in work and/or further study six months after graduation (92.9% - HESA Performance Indicator sourced from the DLHE survey 2013/14) and American Studies at Swansea is ranked 1st for graduate prospects (The Guardian Good University Guide 2016).
Students on this course typically develop excellent oral and writing skills and you will learn to present your ideas in a range of formats, along with strong research, analytical and problem-solving skills.
Our graduates enter careers in a wide range of sectors including:
- Events management
Our career support services include:
- Employability workshops, employers’ talks, bespoke events and careers fairs
- Individual advice and guidance from professionally qualified Careers Advisers
- Help with finding jobs, internships, work placements and volunteering opportunities
- Access to information resources on a wide range of career management topics
- Advice and guidance on postgraduate study and funding
- Funding to support student internship opportunities and Student Society/Club events.
We also provide help and advice for Swansea University Alumni up to two years after you graduate.