About the course
The MA in Applied Linguistics offers an advanced level professional qualification for practising and aspiring teachers of English, but also for second language (L2) materials developers, assessment and examination/test paper writers and researchers in Applied Linguistics.
This course is designed for those who wish to start or further their career in Applied Linguistics and English Language Teaching, but do not wish to take observed and assessed teaching practice.
Why choose this course?
- Study areas such as the relationship between linguistics and second language learning, the methodology and techniques of language teaching and the appropriateness and development of materials for language teaching and learning purposes.
- Examine various current issues in English language Teaching (ELT) and carry out a major piece of individual research on a topic of your interest.
- Develop your understanding of the language systems of English: Phonology, Grammar, Lexis and Morphology.
- Gain relevant and practical classroom experience as well as professional practical experience with a work placement programme.
- Benefit from links with our prolific and highly successful Centre for Research in English Language Learning and Assessment (CRELLA), a world-leading research centre in language testing and programme evaluation.
How will I be assessed?
A variety of group and individual assessments are used throughout the duration of the course, which underline research and independent thinking, critical knowledge theory and practice and the ability to make informed decisions. This is relevant to the intended learning outcomes of our programme. The following are some examples: - Academic papers, - Oral presentations, - Materials evaluation and production for language teaching and learning purposes; - In-class tests and examinations; - Professional Practice Report. Academic papers: the core unit LNG012-6 the Methodology of Language Teaching requires the students to produce two academic papers, one of which is based on critically evaluating approaches and methods for language teaching and learning purposes.