The Masters in Software Development is a specialist version of the MSc (Information Technology), intended for students without a computing science background. It is an intensive, practically oriented programme focussing on professional software development stills, which students apply to a significant Software Development project.
WHY THIS PROGRAMME
- Information Technology (IT) pervades our lives. If you are a graduate and you are equipped with advanced software development skills, you will enjoy a significant advantage in pursuing your career, whatever your previous degree subject.
- The School is a member of the Scottish Informatics and Computer Science Alliance: SICSA. This collaboration of Scottish universities aims to develop Scotland's place as a world leader in Informatics and Computer Science research and education.
- The School of Computing Science has extensive contacts with industrial partners who contribute to several of their taught courses, through active teaching, curriculum development, and panel discussion. Recent contributors include representatives from IBM, J.P. Morgan, Amazon, Adobe and Red Hat.
- During the programme students have an opportunity to develop and practice relevant professional and transferrable skills, and to meet and learn from employers about working in the IT industry.
- You will have opportunities to meet employers who come to make recruitment presentations, and often seek to recruit our graduates during the programme.
- You will benefit from having 24-hour access to a computer laboratory equipped with state-of-the-art hardware and software.
Former students are now employed in the chemical, electronics, travel, food, and oil industries, in banking and insurance, in software houses, in retailing, in education, in the health service, in management consultancy, in civil engineering, and in other sectors. Some graduates apply their newly-acquired software development skills within their existing careers, or move into research or teaching.
Graduates of this programme have gone on to work for companies such as Morgan Stanley, Seemis, BiP Solutions and Kotikan. Positions include Software Engineer, Web Developer and Software Developer.