This programme is designed to build your understanding of the tourism, heritage and development sectors. Drawing upon a multidisciplinary team to do this, it uses academic approaches from the social sciences and the arts to investigate key themes. These include motivation, impacts, sustainable development, cultural and natural heritage, interpretation and management within this field.
WHY THIS PROGRAMME
- The programme gives you the opportunity to develop a vast repertoire of knowledge and expertise in the subject area through interdisciplinary and critical approaches to study.
- International in scope, it provides a worldwide perspective of tourism, as well as showcasing the variety and significance of this global industry. The programme covers a wide range of international case studies. We use examples from Europe, the Americas, Asia, as well as Scotland and the UK.
- A summer work placement with a variety of tourism and heritage related companies or attractions is possible.
- The local region of Dumfries has fine examples of natural and cultural heritage, including reserves, museums, theme towns and castles.
- You will also benefit from the combined industry experience of our guest lecturers.
There are a number of interesting roles within tourism and heritage bodies in the public and private sectors such as working for tour companies, heritage attractions, museums, and hotel groups. You could also work as a consultant in business, as part of a local government team and on planning bodies. In addition, there are jobs available in education, particularly at college and university level. Your degree may enable you to consider studying for a research degree to consolidate your expertise.