You may have missed the fall intake for one reason or the other. But the good news is, there are other opportunities available if you want to study in Canada. The winter intake in Canada opens another window for International students to study at their dream universities.
It’s never too late to start chasing your dreams. Just take the first step today.
The winter intake is the secondary intake that admits students for the January semester. It is another chance to study in your dream institution while taking in the breathtaking view of Canada. In this article, we will delve into the details of the winter intake in Canada. We will discuss the timeline and deadline for Jan intake in Canada, available universities and courses, the required documents, and more!
Table of Contents
- Timeline and deadline for winter intake in Canada 2024
- How to prepare for winter intake 2024 in Canada
- Popular universities accepting winter intake in Canada 2024
- Popular courses for winter intake 2024 in Canada
- Document checklist for Canada winter intake 2024
- Why choose Canada winter intake 2024?
- Frequently asked questions
- Let Edvoy help you get into your dream university this winter!
Timeline and deadline for winter intake in Canada 2024
Usually, most universities and colleges' application deadlines fall between September of the previous year and January of the intake year.
However, you must determine the specific deadline for the universities you wish to apply to.
The deadline for January intake Canada 2024 has passed for some institutions, but you can still apply to the available institutions. It's always essential to prepare on time to meet the deadline.
Below is a timeline guide:
|January - April 2023||Research and shortlist universities. Check eligibility criteria and requirements.|
|May - July 2023||Prepare and take English proficiency tests and standardised tests.|
|August - December 2023||Gather the necessary documents and apply to universities.|
|October 2023 - January 2024||Compare and accept an offer and attend interviews. Look up accommodations, apply for a student visa and settle your finances.|
If you fail to plan, you are planning to fail! - Benjamin Franklin.
How to prepare for winter intake 2024 in Canada
If you intend to apply to January intake universities in Canada, it's best to prepare eight to twelve months before the session begins. Here is a step-by-step breakdown of how to prepare:
Step 1: Research and shortlist universities (January - April 2023)
- Research universities and colleges open to winter intake in Canada.
- Check their course list and shortlist those offering your course of interest.
- Now, cut down the list per your interest, budget, and ranking.
- Download the admission brochure and check the eligibility criteria and requirements.
Step 2: Prepare and take the necessary tests (May - July 2023)
- Find out the required tests for your shortlisted universities.
- Start preparing for standardised tests (GRE, GMAT, SAT) at least a month before the test.
- Also, prepare for English language proficiency tests (IELTS, TOEFL, Duolingo).
- Attempt all tests between May and July.
- Write them early to plan for buffer time if you need to rewrite them.
Step 3: Apply to universities (September - December 2023)
- Apply as early as possible to your shortlisted universities.
- Don’t wait for the last date to apply for the January intake in Canada because most universities consider early applicants first.
- You will submit several documents like letters of recommendation (LOR), statement of purpose (SOP) and your CV or resume.
- Ask your college professors for help when writing your LORs.
- You may need to attend a virtual interview when applying.
- Submit your document before the stipulated deadline.
Step 4: Accept an offer and settle your finances (October 2023 - January 2024)
- Respond to emails sent by the university.
- After applying, the universities will send you a letter of acceptance (LOA) if accepted.
- Promptly accept admission after choosing the university you want to attend.
- Ensure you confirm your admission before the deadline.
- You will pay a non-refundable deposit after confirmation.
For your finances:
- Apply for student loans, scholarships, or grants
- Research accommodation options
- Apply for a student visa and take note of the processing time
- Apply for an international credit or debit card.
Popular universities accepting winter intake in Canada 2024
There is a shorter list for January intake Canada universities than for the fall intake. However, there are still many top-choice universities open for admission in January.
- University of Toronto
- University of British Columbia
- George Brown College
- Douglas College
- St. Clair College
- University of Manitoba
- Carleton University
- Durham College
- Humber College
- University of Toronto
- Centennial College
- McGill University
- Vancouver Island University
- University of Ottawa
- Queen’s University
- Lambton College
- McMaster University
- University of Montreal
- Fanshawe College
- University of Saskatchewan
Are you ready to apply for the winter intake in Canada? Browse our university list now!
Popular courses for Winter Intake 2024 in Canada
Most universities offer fewer courses than in the fall semester since the winter intake in Canada is only a secondary intake. So you should always check to see if your desired course is available.
Here are some of the common courses January intake universities in Canada offer:
- Computer engineering
- Project management
- Films and media
- Early childhood education
- Fashion Designing
- Artificial intelligence, and machine learning
Wondering what other courses are available for winter? Browse our course list now!
Also Read: Best PG Courses in Canada
Document checklist for Canada winter intake 2024
When applying for the winter intake in Canada, you must submit some documents necessary for admission. They include:
- Academic certificates and transcripts
- Up-to-date CV or resume
- Experience letter
- Standardised test scores
- Letter of recommendation
- Statement of purpose
- English proficiency certificate
- Backlog certificate (if applicable)
- Proof of fund
- Certificate of extracurricular activities (if any)
- Copy of valid passport
- Passport-size photographs
Note: Some universities may require other documents, so always check their website for the list of required documents.
Why choose Canada winter intake 2024?
There are three main intakes in Canada, and while the fall intake is the most preferred, there are situations where the secondary winter intake is a better option. Some reasons you may choose the winter intake in Canada are:
- It can serve as a backup - If you missed the September intake, the winter intake could be an alternative option. If your desired course is available in winter, you don’t have to wait another year to apply for the fall intake.
- The semester is faster - Winter classes usually run from January to April; some can be shorter. If you want to complete your course within a shorter timeframe, the January intake is better than the fall.
- Specific courses are available only in the winter intake - Some programs are only available in the January academic session. So, if your choice of course is unavailable in other intakes, you will have to apply during winter.
The winter intake in Canada commences after the close of the fall intake. While it's less popular than the September intake, it is a backup for students who missed the fall semester. There are also specific courses only available in winter. Early preparation is crucial so you can participate in the January intake. Research universities and colleges, prepare and take standardised tests and English proficiency tests, apply to universities and wait for admission letters. Once you have confirmed your admission, the next step is to apply for a visa, look up accommodation options, and get an international credit or debit card, and you can take the next flight to Canada.
Frequently asked questions
Is January intake available in Canada?
The January intake is available in Canada. It usually spans between January to April. However, not all universities accept winter intakes since it’s not the primary intake. Also, not all courses will be offered in the January intake.
When to apply for January intake in Canada?
The best time to apply for January intake in Canada is before the application deadline. It’s even better to apply as early as possible. The deadline period for most universities falls between September and January, but the deadline date differs for each university and, sometimes, for each course. Ensure you find the specific deadline for the universities you wish to apply to.
What is winter intake in Canada?
Winter intake means the secondary intake that opens up for admission in January. The semester runs from January to April. The winter intake in Canada is an opportunity for students who missed the fall intake to apply.
Let Edvoy help you get into your dream university this winter!
Have you missed the fall intake train? Why wait for the next fall intake? Academic opportunities don’t come only once! January is another chance to apply to your dream university. At Edvoy, we believe in your dreams and in supporting you through your journey to success.
From application to your admission phase, we have resources to guide you every step of the way. You can also consult with our expert counsellor for FREE and download the app today.
The time is ticking fast. Why wait? Contact us today!