One of the most exciting things about fall is its academic opportunities for International students. Most students desire to be among the thousands applying in September. Canada has established itself as a top choice country for education, with world-ranking schools. Canada offers many other opportunities, making it an all-around ideal choice for studying in the fall.
In this article, we will discuss all you need to know about fall intake in Canada. You will learn about the application timeline, how to apply, top universities and courses, and the necessary documents for application.
Table of Contents
- Timeline and deadline for fall intake Canada 2024
- How to prepare for fall intake in Canada 2024
- Universities and colleges accepting fall intake in Canada 2024
- Popular courses for fall intake 2024 in Canada
- Document checklist for fall intake in Canada 2024
- Benefits of applying for the 2024 fall intake in Canada
- Frequently asked questions
Timeline and deadline for fall intake Canada 2024
The deadline for fall intake in Canada usually falls around December of the previous year to February of the admission year. So, for 2024, it’s essential to start applying early, before the deadline. However, the deadline varies depending on the program or school, so you should always find the timeline for your college or university of interest.
However, here is a general timeline for application:
|April to August 2023||Research universities/colleges to choose your preferred universities and courses in Canada|
|September to November 2023||Prepare and take standardised tests.|
|November 2023 to January 2024||Fill out the application forms carefully.|
|January to February 2024||Reply to college emails and responses.|
|March to April 2024||Apply for a Canadian student visa and prepare your finances.|
Also Read: Spring Intake in Canada 2024
How to prepare for fall intake in Canada 2024
"Education is our passport to the future, for tomorrow belongs to the people who prepare for it today." - Malcolm X.
Follow these steps to prepare for your September academic journey:
Step 1: Research the universities and courses (April - August 2023)
- Between April and August 2023, research universities offering fall intake in Canada and the lessons they offer based on your interest.
- Check out scholarships and student loans and choose the most affordable options.
- Download their admission brochures after shortlisting your university choices to learn more about their offerings and resources.
Step 2: Prepare for international standardised tests (September - November 2023)
- Prepare appropriately for the English standardised test and the required standardised test for the specific university program. Don’t wait till the last minute.
- The best time to take international standardised tests is between September to November. Plan for buffer time, which should best fall in October if you need to retake the tests.
- Also, appear for IELTS, TOEFL, Duolingo, and the like, and always register one month before the test date.
Step 3: Fill out the university’s application form (November 2023 - January 2024)
- Go to the university’s website and fill in the application form.
- Prepare the required documents, like academic transcripts and medical certificates.
- Request help from your college professors and teachers for letters of recommendation (LOR).
- Draft your statement of purpose (SOP), academic curriculum vitae, or resume, and submit other required documents before the deadline.
Step 4: Reply to college emails and responses (January - February 2024)
- After submitting your application and documents for the fall intake in Canada, the university will email you about your admission between January and February.
- Always look out for these emails so you can respond promptly.
- Check your grammar and spelling to avoid unnecessary errors while replying.
- You may need to attend a personal video interview. They schedule these interviews in the first quarter of the year.
- The university will send you a letter of acceptance (LOA) based on your overall performance. Ensure you promptly accept it if the offer is appealing.
- Pay a non-refundable deposit.
Step 5: Prepare your finances and apply for a Canadian student visa (February - April 2024)
- Organise your finances.
- Apply for student loans and financial aid.
- Search for student housing and accommodation facilities.
- Apply early for your student visa and know the requirements and processing time.
- Also, book airline tickets early to get more affordable rates.
- Apply for an international debit or credit card.
- Check the pre-departure list.
Universities and colleges accepting fall intake in Canada 2024
Being the most preferred intake, most universities in Canada provide fall intake, so many options are open for international students.
Below is a list of popular universities to consider:
- University of Waterloo
- University of Toronto
- McGill University
- Carleton university
- Ryerson University
- University of Alberta
- Niagara College
- University of Ottawa
- University of British Columbia
- Humber College
- Queen’s University
- Simon Fraser University
- University of Windsor
- Conestoga College
- Western University
- Northern College
Popular courses for fall intake 2024 in Canada
There is also a wide range you can choose from regarding courses. Here are some popular programs for the fall intake in Canada. Also, check out these courses' deadlines, as they may differ from the general deadline for September intake Canada.
- Life Sciences
- Data Sciences
- Contemporary Arts
- Business Administration
- Visual Effects Technology
- Petroleum Engineering
- Economics and Financial Administration
- Social Sciences
- Banking and Insurance
- Designing Arts: Illustrations and Digital Animation
- Artificial intelligence
- Software Engineering
- Environmental science
- Film Screening: Direction and Animation
- Civil Engineering
Follow this link to find the right course for you.
Document checklist for fall intake in Canada 2024
During the application process, you will submit several documents to qualify for the fall intake in Canada. Your application documents include:
- Academic certificates and transcripts
- Up-to-date CV or resume
- Experience letter
- Letter of recommendation
- Statement of purpose
- English proficiency certificate
- Backlog certificate (if applicable)
- Proof of financial support
- Certificate of extracurricular activities (if any)
- Valid passport
- Passport photographs
Benefits of applying for the 2024 fall intake in Canada
There are many benefits of being a part of the fall intake in Canada 2024, making it a favourite of most internal students.
- Diverse courses: If you really want to spread your wings, academic-wise, fall is a perfect time. Most universities offer many undergraduate and postgraduate courses for Canadian intakes, increasing the available options.
- Suitable application timeline: Since many institutions offer admission and many students, the application timeline is longer. There are usually about three to four months to complete your application.
- More Scholarships and financial aid: Many scholarships, grants, fellowships, and other financial aid open to international students are available in the fall. Hence, you have more choices, meaning you will likely find a great option.
- Networking opportunities: Making valuable connections through networking can create new opportunities for you and transform your experience.
The September semester brings students from different cultural dynamics together. This opens up an excellent opportunity to network.
- "Networking is more than connecting people. It has to do with connecting people with people, people with opportunities, and people with ideas." -- Michele Jennae
- Exploring Canada: Fall is the best time to explore Canadian landscapes and engage in outdoor activities.
- More job opportunities: Various openings are available after the September study period. After you complete your course, there are higher chances of getting a suitable job.
Fall intake in Canada is the most preferred intake. While its popularity opens up many opportunities in the choice of university, courses, and job, it also means that there will be more competition. Some Canadian universities' acceptance rate is as high as 80%, and to be among them, you must start preparing for tests and gathering your documents about a year before the semester. Also, apply early and don't wait for the deadline.
Frequently asked questions
1. What is fall intake in Canada?
Fall or September intake is Canada's primary and most popular intake from September to December/January. It is the most preferred semester and offers more opportunities for international students. Generally, application for the fall intake in Canada opens in December and closes around March of the semester year. Most universities in Canada accept intakes in September and offer many popular courses.
2. How many intakes are in Canada?
There are three Canada intakes: fall/September, winter/January, and spring/May. However, not all academic institutions offer all three intakes, but most universities admit students in September, making it the primary intake.
3. Which intake is best for Canada?
While no intake can be considered the best, the fall intake in Canada is preferred by students and universities. So, it has many advantages, like more options in choosing universities, courses, and scholarships.
4. When to apply for September intake in Canada?
November of the previous year to January of the intake year is the usual application period for most universities. However, you must apply as soon as possible. It is advisable to prepare some months before the application date, ideally by April.
Find your dream university with Edvoy this fall!
Preparing for the fall intake in Canada can be overwhelming, but with the proper guide, you can find your dream university. Edvoy helps students find the right university. We also apply for scholarships and offer quality advice to guide you in finding your dream university and course. Let us take the bold step with you!