Table of Contents
- Inlaks Shivdasani Scholarships
- Lady Meherbai D Tata Education Scholarship
- Fulbright-Nehru Master’s Fellowship
- Agatha Harrison Memorial Fellowship
- National Overseas Scholarship
- Tata Scholarship – Cornell University
- Aga Khan Foundation International Scholarship
- Great Wall Program
- Global Study Awards
- GREAT Education Scholarships
- Narotam Sekhsaria Scholarship Program
- Orange Tulip Scholarship
- Final words
Scholarships make it convenient for students to study at the top universities abroad without worrying about expenses. There are plenty of options when it comes to a scholarship to study abroad for Indian students. However, many students are unaware of their eligibility criteria and funding.
In this guide, we will list the 12 best scholarships to study abroad for Indian students and their eligibility criteria.
Inlaks Shivdasani Scholarships
The Inlaks Shivdasani Scholarship is a popular scholarship to study abroad for Indian students that allow meritorious Indian students to study in a full-time Master, MPhil, or Doctoral program at top-rated American, UK, and European institutions. Inlaks Shivdasani Foundation gives maximum funding of $100,000. The candidate must be able to cover the additional costs on their own if the funding to complete the proposed course of study exceeds this amount.
Inlaks Selection Committee selects successful applications for scholarships. The selection process consists of three stages: a review of eligible applications, preliminary interviews with selected candidates, and a final interview with candidates who clear preliminary interviews.
To be eligible for the Inlaks Shivdasani Foundation Scholarships, the candidate must:
- be an Indian passport holder residing in India for at least six months at the time of application.
- be at least 30 years of age.
- have a degree from an accredited Indian university
- have at least a 65% academic grade, a GPA of 2.6, or a CGPA of 6.8 from a recognized university for Social Science, Humanities, Law, Fine Arts, Architecture, and related subjects.
- have at least 70% academic grade, a GPA of 2.8, or a CGPA of 7.2 from a recognized university for Mathematics, Sciences, Environment, and related subjects.
For more information: Inlaks Shivdasani Scholarships
Lady Meherbai D Tata Education Scholarship
The Lady Meherbai D Tata Education Trust awards scholarships to Indian women graduates supporting their tuition fee component for pursuing higher education abroad. The shortlisted candidates will have to attend a personal or an online interview with the board of trustees. The scholarship awards INR 3,60,000 as a tuition fee component per selected candidate, depending on the candidate's performance in the interview. The selected candidate has to submit a copy of the 'Financial Capacity' document, reflecting her ability to support his education.
To be eligible for the Lady Meherbai D Tata Education Scholarship, the candidate must:
- be a female graduate from a reputed university.
- have a consistent and exceptional academic record.
- have secured admission to a reputed US, UK, or Europe university.
- have a minimum two years of relevant work experience.
For more information: Lady Meherbai D Tata Education Scholarship
Fulbright-Nehru Master’s Fellowship
The Fulbright-Nehru Master’s Fellowship is a one or two-year fellowship to allow Indian students to pursue a master’s degree program at selected colleges and universities in the U.S. The scholarship provides funding for tuition fees, living and other associated expenses, J-1 visa support, round-trip air travel, and accident and sickness coverage.
To be eligible for the Fulbright-Nehru Master’s Fellowship, the candidate must
- have a U.S. equivalent bachelor's degree with a minimum of 55% marks from an acknowledged Indian university.
- have a minimum of three year's full-time (paid) professional work experience relevant to the specified field of study.
- have leadership qualities and community service experience.
- not be enrolled in a U.S. degree program or have another degree from any U.S. university.
For more information: Fulbright-Nehru Master's Fellowship
Agatha Harrison Memorial Fellowship
HRD Ministry administers the Ms. Agatha Harrison Memorial Fellowship for students interested in pursuing an academic career in History, Political Science, and Economics at St. Antony College, Oxford University London. The scholarship provides a stipend, round-trip air travel, travel allowance, college lunch allowance, and administration charges.
To be eligible for the Ms. Agatha Harrison Memorial Fellowship, the candidate must:
- be a permanent citizen of India.
- be between 30 to 40 years of age.
- have scored atleast 60% marks at the Master's degree level.
- have a Ph.D. degree in the subject field.
- have a specialization in history, economics, or political science.
- have at least three years of teaching experience at the Graduate or Post-Graduate level.
National Overseas Scholarship
The National Overseas Scholarship was launched by the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment to facilitate low-income students from Scheduled Castes, Scheduled Tribes, Landless Agricultural Labourers, and Traditional Artisans to pursue Master's Degrees, Ph.D., and Post-Doctoral courses abroad. The scholarship covers tuition fees, visa fees, book costs, living expenses, medical insurance premiums, air tickets, incidental journey allowance, and contingency allowance.
To be eligible for the National Overseas Scholarship, the candidate must:
- belong to Scheduled Castes, Scheduled Tribes, Landless Agricultural Labourers, or Traditional Artisans.
- not be more than 35 years old.
- have scored a minimum of 60% marks in the qualifying examination.
- have a family income of less than INR 8,00,000 in the previous financial year.
For more information: National Overseas Scholarship
Tata Scholarship – Cornell University
Tata Education and Development Trust provides financial aid to undergraduate Indian students to study an undergraduate program at Cornell University in the U.S. The scholarship provides funding for eight semesters to approximately 20 scholars, regardless of their financial circumstances.
To be eligible for the Tata Scholarship, the candidate must:
- be a citizen of India.
- have passed secondary school in India.
- have an admission letter as an undergraduate student from Cornell.
- satisfy the eligibility for need-based financial aid.
For more information: Tata Scholarship - Cornell University
Aga Khan Foundation International Scholarship
The Aga Khan Foundation provides scholarships for postgraduate studies to outstanding students each year to develop influential scholars and leaders. The scholarship covers the tuition fees and living expenses of the students, not the cost of travel.
The Aga Khan Foundation awards the scholarship on a 50% grant and 50% loan basis.Financial assistance is provided according to the student's needs and covers the tuition fees and living expenses only. The loan should be reimbursed with an annual 5% service charge within five years.
To be eligible for the Aga Khan Foundation International Scholarship, the candidate must:
- be a citizen of India.
- be under 30 years of age.
- have excellent academic records.
- have genuine financial needs.
- have working experience in the field of interest.
For more information: Aga Khan Foundation International Scholarship
Great Wall Program
The Chinese Ministry of Education for UNESCO established a full scholarship to sponsor students and scholars to study and conduct research in China. The Great Wall Program covers one academic year of study and supports general scholars and senior scholars only. This scholarship provides tuition waiver, accommodation, stipend, and full medical insurance.
To be eligible for the Great Wall Program, the candidate must:
- be a citizen of India.
- have good physical and mental health.
- have a bachelor’s or master’s degree.
- be under the age of 45 and have at least a high school diploma when applying for the general scholar programs.
- be under the age of 50 and have a master’s degree or an associate professor when applying for the senior scholar programs.
Global Study Awards
The Global Study Awards is a merit-based scholarship to study abroad for Indian students that was started co-jointly by the British Council, the International Student Identity Card Association, and StudyPortals. It is awarded to students who have successfully taken the IELTS exam and want to apply to a full-time undergraduate or postgraduate program in an English-speaking country. The maximum individual award is £10,000 paid directly to the candidate's institute. If the tuition fee is less than £10,000, the remaining amount will be allocated towards the living costs for up to 52 weeks.
To be eligible for the Global Study Awards, the candidate must:
- be over 18 years of age.
- have taken an IELTS test at a British Council center and received an official Test Report Form (TRF).
- have a valid International Student Identity Card (ISIC) or International Youth Travel Card (IYTC).
- enroll in a full-time undergraduate or postgraduate program abroad in the autumn term.
GREAT Education Scholarships
The UK Govt. and the British Council have launched the GREAT Scholarship scheme for students wanting to study for a Master’s degree at participating UK universities. The scholarship is worth a minimum of £10,000 and covers the tuition fees of a one-year postgraduate course. Some participating UK universities in the GREAT Scholarship are Bishop Grosseteste University, Falmouth University, Edinburgh Napier University, Royal Agricultural University, Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance, University of Southampton, etc.
To be eligible for the GREAT Scholarship, the candidate must:
- be an Indian citizen.
- have an undergraduate degree and interest in the proposed subject area.
- meet the required English language requirement of the particular university.
- establish an engagement as a scholar through personal and academic fulfillment.
- act as an ambassador for the GREAT scholarships
- be willing to speak to potential candidates about his experience of studying in the UK.
Narotam Sekhsaria Scholarship Program
The Narotam Sekhsaria Foundation awards a merit-based scholarship to deserving students to pursue postgraduate studies at prestigious institutions abroad. The scholarship is an interest-free loan to pursue higher studies in the field of Pure Sciences, Applied Sciences, Social Sciences, Humanities, Law, Architecture, and Management. It also has a mentorship program where mentors share their experiences with scholars to help them plan their future goals.
To be eligible for the Narotam Sekhsaria Scholarship program, the candidate must:
- be an Indian citizen.
- be under 30 years of age.
- be a graduate degree holder from a recognized Indian University. The final-year
- students can also apply to this program.
- have got admission to any prestigious international university's postgraduate degree program.
Orange Tulip Scholarship
The Orange Tulip Scholarship (OTS) program allows talented students in India to study in the Netherlands with a partial tuition fee waiver. The NESOs (Netherlands Education Support Offices) manage and promote these scholarships. Tilburg University offers four of these scholarships, and beneficiaries will receive a tuition fee of € 4,450 and a partial tuition fee waiver.
To be eligible for the Orange Tulip Scholarship, the candidate must:
- have Indian nationality.
- have a degree from a non-Dutch university.
- have scored at least 80% in the Bachelor's (or Master's) degree program.
- be admitted or undergoing the admission process to a one-year Master’s program at Tilburg University.
- not previously studied or worked in the Netherlands.
These scholarships can help Indian students to fulfill their dream of studying abroad. Apart from the scholarships mentioned above, many colleges and universities award scholarships to deserving students. Remember, once your scholarship to study abroad for Indian students is approved, you are one step closer to realizing your goals.