PTE stands for the Pearson Test of English.
It is one of the most famous language proficiency tests students take to study abroad.
The PTE exam has a set of generalised rules for eligibility. In this article, let us look at the list of PTE eligibility criteria for this year.
Table of Contents
- Highlights of the PTE Academic exam
- PTE Academic eligibility criteria
- Number of attempts for the PTE Academic exam
- Age limit for the PTE Academic exam
- Educational qualification for the PTE Academic exam
- Cut-off marks for the PTE exam eligibility criteria
- Countries that accept PTE scores
- Identification and biometric rules for the PTE exam
- PTE eligibility criteria for candidates with special requirements
- FAQs: PTE eligibility, 2022
Highlights of the PTE Academic exam
The PTE Pearson VUE (PLC) is the conducting body of the PTE test globally. The eligibility criteria for the PTE Academic exam are pretty broad.
Make sure you go through the exam's eligibility criteria and the score acceptance criteria of the university before applying.
Due to COVID-19 restrictions, the Pearson VUE has reduced the number of test centres in India. If you wish to take the PTE Academic exam from home Pearson VUE will need to provide you with the equipment. This means when you book, you need to ensure you select the nearest test centre to you.
The centre will provide you with a headset and a system for the listening, reading, speaking and writing sections.
PTE Academic eligibility criteria
|Eligibility factors||Age required|
|Minimum age required for PTE Academic||16 years|
|Parental consent is needed for||Below 18 years of age|
|Maximum age||No age bar|
Number of attempts for the PTE Academic exam
There are no limits to taking the PTE Academic test. But here are two major points that you need to remember before applying:
1. You cannot book multiple test dates at a single time. For instance, if you have booked your first test on June 20th, you have to appear for the PTE Academic exam that day, and complete the test before applying again.
2. You need to wait until you receive your PTE scores on the first attempt. You'll generally get your results within 2 hours to 7 days after taking the test. Then you can apply for the next slot.
Age limit for the PTE Academic exam
Your age should be at least 16 years to take the PTE Academic exam. There is no maximum age to take the test.
If you are below 18 years of age, you need a parental consent form signed by either your parents or guardians before taking the PTE exam. The consent form is available on the PTE's official website.
Educational qualification for the PTE Academic exam
There are no specific educational qualification criteria to take the PTE test. All you need is a strong command of communicative English.
Cut-off marks for the PTE exam eligibility criteria
The PTE Academic exam doesn't have a specific cut-off score. But out of a total range of 10-90, if you score between 50-63, it is considered a good score. To get into top universities, it is recommended that you score above 65 or 67 on this English language test. Prepare and score high using the tips offered in this.
Countries that accept PTE scores
The PTE exam is considered in most top global universities. Countries where the exam score is considered eligible are the USA, UK, Canada, New Zealand, Australia, Ireland, etc.
Identification and biometric rules for the PTE exam
Pearson Test of English language has specified some identification documents and biometric requirements to take the exam. Here's the list:
- It would be best to produce your valid passport as the primary identity requirement.
- The name on the passport should match the name you provided to book the test. Any mismatch found will cost your attendance and the test fee.
You should also produce another identity document that represents your nationality.
- CCTV will monitor you during the exam.
- For the biometric part, a scan of your photograph, palm vein pattern, or a self-introduction will be recorded on the day of the test.
PTE eligibility criteria for candidates with special requirements
Those with special needs or requirements can use the following accommodations provided by PTE during the exam day.
- Access to a wheelchair.
- A separate room.
- Seek help and adjust the monitor's brightness.
- An additional 10-minute break.
- Extra equipment such as a lamp, magnifying glass, etc.
- 25% of extra time- only if you take your test in the UK.
To seek help and access the features mentioned above, you should:
- Produce a medical certificate stating your additional needs from a licensed medical practitioner.
- A letter explaining the long-term health adversity which will need special assistance or care.
FAQs: PTE eligibility, 2022
Who can take the PTE home test?
If you are 18 years of age and above, you can take the PTE home test.
How many times can you take the PTE Academic test?
PLC group, the conducting body of the PTE exam has not set any limits for you to take the test.
What is the registration cost of the PTE exam in India?
The cost of the PTE registration exam in India is INR Rs. 14,700. If you cancel or reschedule the exam dates, you may have to pay an additional fee.
Which is the toughest section in the PTE Academic exam?
The difficulty level of any section in the PTE exam depends on your language expertise. The recommendation is to have a holistic approach while preparing for each section of the PTE exam and ace it seamlessly! Also, make use of these tools to make the preparation easier!
What documents are accepted as IDs for the PTE exam?
The main identification document is your passport along with any nationality ID. If your passport is in the Visa office, request that officially from the body and take that for your PTE test.
With the eligibility criteria known, it's time to see how you can register for the PTE exam. Connect with Edvoy today and stay updated on the content!