There are three types of the Pearson Test of English (PTE) exam - the PTE Academic exam, the PTE General exam, and the PTE Young Learner.
- The PTE Academic exam is taken when you plan on pursuing higher studies in a globally reputed university overseas.
- You can take the PTE General test for immigration purposes seeking a new life outside your native or for a job.
- The PTE Young Learner is the one, which is taken by children of age 12 to 16 years. The purpose of taking the test will be for resuming their schooling wherever they migrate with their parents.
Let's take a look at registering for the PTE Academic and General test and what documents are required to apply.
Table of Contents
- The step-by-step process of completing PTE Academic registration
- PTE General registration process
- PTE test fee and methods of payment
- Additional PTE registration methods
- Documents required to apply for the PTE exam
- PTE test centres in India, 2022
- Points to remember while registering for the PTE
- FAQs: PTE registration, 2022
The step-by-step process of completing PTE Academic registration
Follow the below-mentioned procedure to register and book a slot to take the PTE Academic exam:
- Step 1: Open the PTE's official website and create an account for online registration. Enter your personal details such as name and DOB (Date Of Birth) precisely as on your passport.
- Step 2: Read the policies, terms and conditions in the next stage of the application. This is a crucial step to learning about any updates or changes in the test format.
- Step 3: Choose the PTE test date and the test centre. After signing in, click the "schedule the exam" tab and select the PTE test date and the preferred test centre from the provided list on the site. Once done, click the "proceed to checkout" option on the screen.
- Step 4: Once done with checking out, you'll see the final preview of the selected PTE exam date, the test centre, the total fee, and the exam time. You can reschedule or cancel at this stage before making the payment. But taking these steps after paying the fee will incur cancelling or rescheduling costs.
PTE General registration process
There is no specific site to register for the PTE General exam. Thus you can look for the options on the PTE's official website or contact the customer care at Pearson Education Ltd.
PTE test fee and methods of payment
The PTE exam fee in India is INR Rs. 14,700. The breakdown of the price is:
Exam registration fee: Rs. 12,470.63
Added tax charges: Rs. 2242.37
You can pay the PTE registration fee via credit cards like Mastercard, American Express and JCB and Visa debit cards.
After making the payment, you'll receive a confirmation to the registered mail id with the chosen test date, time, and centre.
You’ll have to pay the rescheduling and cancellation fees if you change or cancel the test date after completing registration for the PTE.
If you cancel or reschedule before a week of the registered test date, you'll get 25% of the test fee as a refund.
But you can’t claim a refund if you are rescheduling or cancelling within a gap of 2-3 days for the test. You have to pay the complete fee if you are rescheduling at this stage.
Additional PTE registration methods
Apart from the PTE exam online registration, you can register for the Academic exam or General test via phone.
To register for the PTE exam in India, you can contact the PTE Academic testing body by dialing: 00080 0440 2020 on Monday to Friday from 9:00 AM-6:00 PM IST.
Documents required to apply for the PTE exam
The two primary documents that are required while registering and attending the PTE are:
- Your passport
- Your nationality ID
Always make sure that the details provided for the PTE registration matches precisely with the personal information on your passport.
Any mismatch will cost you in the examination either losing the slot or the fee.
PTE test centres in India, 2022
You can take the PTE test in the following cities in India:
- New Delhi
Points to remember while registering for the PTE
- The personal details should EXACTLY match the details on the valid identity proof you'll bring for the PTE Academic or General exam.
- You must carry your passport as the mandatory identification proof during the test. It is always safer to have another ID proof on the exam day.
- A valid and secure email address should be given while registering for the PTE. You'll be receiving updates like login credentials for the test and score card to this ID.
- Once the application is filled and submitted, the conducting body will process your registration within 5 days.
- Candidates can claim the refund amount ONLY if they cancel or reschedule a week before the registered test date.
FAQs: PTE registration, 2022
How to apply for the PTE Academic test?
You can complete the process of registering for the PTE Academic test in just 4 steps. Check the official website, create a candidate profile, select the preferred test date, time slot and location, and seal the deal by processing the payment!
What are the fees for the PTE Academic and General exams?
The PTE Academic exam fee in India is INR Rs. 14,700. The PTE General test fee is INR Rs. 13,300.
Can I take the PTE from home?
Yes, you can take the PTE home test. All you have to do is book the centre that is nearest to your home and receive the system and headphones from the test centre to take the exam.
Is the PTE score valid for three years?
No. The PTE score is valid for two years, but you can re-attempt multiple times. Make sure that you book for the next attempt 5-6 days after receiving your first attempt test score.
Does PTE have negative marking?
Some sections of the test do - the multiple-choice questions in the reading and listening, and a section where you have to highlight the incorrect words used.
You now know everything about registering for the PTE - you can read plenty more on our site about all English assessment tests! Sign up with Edvoy today and stay tuned for more content on the PTE syllabus and exam pattern!