Table of Contents
- TOEFL iBT home edition: An overview
- TOEFL iBT home edition: Key highlights
- TOEFL home edition: At-home requirements
- TOEFL iBT home edition: Tips to prepare for test day
- TOEFL iBT home edition pattern 2023
- TOEFL iBT home edition syllabus 2023
- Frequently asked questions
The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) is a standard assessment taken by international students to determine their level of proficiency in the English language. The TOEFL exam assesses a person’s reading, writing, speaking, and listening skills in English. It is a renowned exam accepted by several educational institutions across the world. The TOEFL iBT home edition is one of the most preferred exam formats by students as it is highly convenient and comfortable. Here we cover everything you need to know about the TOEFL home edition test.
TOEFL iBT home edition: An overview
|TOEFL iBT full form||Test of English as a Foreign Language (internet-Based Test)|
|Conducted by||Educational Testing Services (ETS)|
|Purpose of test||Assesses the English skills of international students planning to study abroad|
|No. of sections||4|
Also read: TOEFL: Syllabus, Eligibility, Pattern, Duration, Rules, Registration, Score, Preparation Tips
TOEFL iBT home edition: Key highlights
- The TOEFL home edition is similar to the TOEFL internet-based test, where students can take the exam from the comfort of their homes.
- The exam is available worldwide and is accepted by several educational institutions abroad.
- The candidates are monitored online by a human invigilator.
- TOEFL iBT home edition is available four days a week and 24 hours a day. You can book your slot according to your convenience.
- The TOEFL home edition’s pattern and syllabus are similar to the iBT exam conducted in test centres.
Also read: What you need to know about TOEFL iBT: A beginner's guide
TOEFL home edition: At-home requirements
Ensure the assets below are ready before applying for the TOEFL iBT home edition exam.
- A fully-functioning desktop or laptop computer.
- Recommended operating system.
PC: Windows versions 10 or 8.
MAC: Mac OS X 10.5 or higher (TOEFL recommends 10.13 High Sierra).
- Recommended browser: Chrome or Firefox.
- A good internal or external speaker. Remember that earphones and headphones are not allowed.
- An internal or external microphone.
- An in-built or separate camera for the proctor to monitor you during the exam.
- Install the ETS Secure Test Browser and run the ProctorU Equipment Check to make sure your system meets the requirements.
TOEFL iBT home edition: Tips to prepare for test day
It is important to prepare your testing space before the commencement of the exam.
- Confirm if your system is ready by running the ProctorU Equipment Check before your appointment.
- Keep your passport or a valid Government issued ID ready for verification before the exam.
- Have a handheld mirror or mobile phone in hand to show your computer screen to the proctor.
- Note-taking materials like a whiteboard or a transparent plastic sheet are allowed. The materials should be in view of the proctor.
- Make sure you have dressed appropriately for the exam and refrain from wearing any jewellery or accessories.
- Make sure you start your test on time. ETS will cancel your test if you haven’t checked in on time.
TOEFL iBT home edition pattern 2023
The TOEFL exam pattern for the TOEFL home edition is similar to the iBT exam students take in test centres. The test consists of four sections.
TOEFL home edition exam pattern 2023
|Section||No. of questions|
|Reading||30-40||54-72||30||3-4 reading passages|
|Listening||28-39||41-57||30||3-4 audio recordings of lectures, discussions, and conversations|
Task 1 - Read or listen to a passage or lecture to write answers
Task 2 - Write an essay on a given topic
|Writing||2||50||30||Face-to-face conversation on familiar topics or issues|
TOEFL iBT home edition syllabus 2023
Here is the TOEFL exam syllabus for home edition,
Duration: 54-72 minutes
No. of questions: 30-40
TOEFL iBT home edition reading section question types
- Factual and negative factual information: The factual information questions require you to identify the correct information, such as major ideas, facts, and definitions.
- Inference and rhetorical: You should find the ambiguous statement from the passage.
Rhetorical questions require the purpose of the statement.
- Vocabulary: The candidates should provide the meanings of particular words in the passage.
- Insert text: These questions test the logical placement of ideas for a specific passage.
- Sentence explanation: You must choose the option that explains the statement in a simpler form.
- Prose summary: You are required to identify the passage's main points and summarise the idea.
Duration: 41-57 minutes
No. of questions: 28-39
TOEFL home edition listening section question types
- Gist content/purpose: You should deliver the main idea or purpose of the audio.
- Detail questions: Provide the factual details derived from the audio under these questions.
- Function: The function questions require you to determine the actual meaning of the context.
- Attitude: You must determine the attitude or expression of specific words.
- Inference: The questions require you to find the underlying purpose of the lecture.
- Connections: In the connection questions, you must find connections between the ideas in the lecture.
- Organisation: The organisation questions require you to determine how the lecture is structured.
Duration: 17 minutes
No. of questions: 4
TOEFL home edition speaking section question types
There are two types of questions in the TOEFL speaking section.
- Independent task: You should present your thoughts, views, and experiences.
- Integrated task: Three cross-functional tasks where your speaking, listening, writing, and reading skills are integrated.
Duration: 50 minutes
No. of questions: 2
TOEFL iBT home edition writing section question types
There are two types of tasks in the TOEFL Writing section.
- Integrated writing task: You have to read a passage, listen to a lecture on a particular topic, and then summarise the main points from the sources.
You will get 3 minutes to read a passage of around 300 words, followed by listening to an audio clip of 2 minutes. Explain how the passage and audio clip support each other.
- Independent writing task: In the independent writing task, you have to present your views, opinions, and experiences through writing. You are required to write 300 words about a particular topic within 30 minutes.
Also read: TOEFL vs IELTS: Which is best for applying to top universities?
Frequently asked questions
What is the passing score for TOEFL iBT Home Edition?
There is no passing score for the TOEFL iBT home edition exam. Candidates can obtain a score between 0-120.
How long does the TOEFL iBT Home Edition take?
The duration of the TOEFL home edition is between 3-3½ hours.
Is TOEFL iBT Home Edition accepted for visa?
Yes, the TOEFL iBT home edition results are accepted for permanent skilled migration visa processing.
Do all universities accept TOEFL iBT Home Edition?
The TOEFL iBT home edition has equal significance as the iBT exam. The exam scores are accepted by all universities that accept TOEFL iBT results.
How do I check my TOEFL Home Edition results?
You will receive your TOEFL iBT home edition results around six days after the test date. The candidates will receive an email with the results or can also check in the official TOEFL app.