The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) is a standard assessment conducted by the Educational Testing Services (ETS) to assess the level of English proficiency in international students. The TOEFL exam pattern assesses a person’s fluency in the English language by testing their reading, listening, speaking, and writing skills. Over 11,500 educational institutions in 160 countries accept the TOEFL exam as proof of English proficiency.
What are the TOEFL writing topics 2023?
The TOEFL writing topics are designed to analyse your ability to deliver your opinion in English through writing. The topics can be general or academic-based. Your views should be clear and error-free to score high in the exam. Your writing ability is tested through an Independent and Integrated essay.
Table of Contents
- What are the TOEFL writing topics 2023?
- TOEFL writing topics 2023: An overview
- TOEFL writing topics: Key highlights
- TOEFL writing tasks 2023
- Frequently asked questions
TOEFL writing topics 2023: An overview
|TOEFL full form||Test of English as a Foreign Language|
|Conducted by||Educational Testing Services (ETS)|
|No. of tasks in the TOEFL writing section||2|
|Types of speaking test tasks||Independent and integrated|
|Duration (in minutes)||50|
|Skills analysed||Writing, reading, listening|
TOEFL writing topics: Key highlights
- The TOEFL writing test determines your ability to express your ideas and opinions through writing.
- There are two writing tasks in the TOEFL exam pattern, lasting for 50 minutes. The maximum score you can obtain in the TOEFL writing section is 30.
- This section analyses your writing skills, as well as your reading and listening skills.
- The TOEFL writing section has two types of tasks: Independent and Integrated.
- The tasks are scored between 0-5. The marks are then added together and converted out of 30 to obtain your final score.
TOEFL writing tasks 2023
The TOEFL writing tasks are structured to measure your ability to express your ideas through writing in a coherent manner. The tasks are based on common academic and general situations students face in their daily life abroad. There are several TOEFL writing topics with answers pdf online for you to understand the tasks and practice effectively for the exam. You can also make use of TOEFL study material to help you better prepare.
Also read: Best books for TOEFL exam preparation
TOEFL writing tasks
|TOEFL writing tasks||Response time||Word limit||Topics to expect|
|Task 1 (Integrated)||20 minutes||150-300||Academics|
|Task 2 (Independent)||30 minutes||300-400||Social issues or scenarios|
TOEFL writing topics: Task 1 (Integrated)
The Integrated task from the TOEFL writing section includes a passage and an audio lecture on an academic topic. You have three minutes to read the passage and two minutes to listen to the lecture. The task requires you to obtain the key points and write an essay according to the question.
The TOEFL writing topics for this task are mostly taken from subjects like science, social science, psychology, and others. You can expect these types of questions below in task 1 of the TOEFL writing test:
- Summarise the main necessity of the Atkins diet and explain how the speaker described his opinion on its benefits and rising popularity.
- The lecturer has expressed their opinion about the American Civil War. Explain the thoughts and the reasons they have put forth in the lecture.
- Summarise the main points of the lecture, and explain how the professor justifies his idea of humans coexisting with bears.
TOEFL writing topics: Task 2 (Independent)
The independent task includes a question on a personal topic, where you are required to share your opinion or provide your personal experience on the topic. You should provide valid details and examples to support your answer. The types of questions you can expect are agree or disagree, explain both sides, or pick from the opinions. The word limit for your answer is a minimum of 300-400 words.
The TOEFL independent writing topics include real-life issues like work-life balance, family, finances, travel, life decisions, and others. Here are some example questions you can refer to:
- Do you agree or disagree with the below statement? A mother plays a vital role in taking care of the child compared to the father. Use examples to support your opinion.
- Some people choose to travel in groups, while others like to explore alone. Which one do you prefer? Use examples to support your choice.
- When you face an issue in life, what do you think is the best decision: ask an experienced person for advice, find possible solutions from the internet, or take time to think about the issue?
Also read: 10 tips to help prepare for the TOEFL exam
Frequently asked questions
Can you get 30 in writing in TOEFL?
The maximum score one can obtain in the TOEFL writing section is 30. With regular practice and preparation, one can work on their writing skills and score 30 in TOEFL writing. There are many TOEFL writing topics with answers pdf available for international students to practice and prepare for the exam.
What is the first task of TOEFL writing?
The first task in TOEFL writing is the Integrated task, where you are given a passage and an audio lecture. You have three minutes to read the passage and two minutes to listen to the lecture on an academic topic. You should note the key points and write an essay as per the question.
What are the TOEFL writing topics?
Here are the writing topics for the TOEFL writing test.
Task 1 (Integrated) - Academics
Task 2 (Independent) - Social issues
How do you structure TOEFL writing?
The essay structure is a major criterion scored in the TOEFL writing section. Make sure to split the content into paragraphs and deliver your opinion. Make sure to include an introduction and then proceed with three paragraphs.
Can we give personal examples in TOEFL writing?
Yes, you can give personal examples in the Independent task under TOEFL writing. You can include these ideas in the agree or disagree type of questions.