What is TOEFL Listening practice?
The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) is a standard assessment taken by international students to determine their level of fluency in English. The TOEFL exam assesses a person’s English proficiency by determining their knowledge of fundamental language skills. The TOEFL exam is accepted as proof of English proficiency by more than 11,500 educational institutions in over 160 countries. The TOEFL exam pattern consists of four sections that have equal importance in determining the candidate’s level of fluency in English.
Table of Contents
- What is TOEFL Listening practice?
- TOEFL listening practice: An overview
- TOEFL listening practice: Key Highlights
- TOEFL listening practice test: Questions to expect
- TOEFL listening practice syllabus
- TOEFL listening practice sample questions
- Pro tips to prepare for TOEFL listening
- Frequently asked questions
What is TOEFL Listening practice?
TOEFL Listening practice refers to a set of pre-exam tasks taken by international students to prepare for the exam’s listening section. The listening practice test consists of 3-4 audio recordings from which students will be asked questions. You are required to complete the section in 41-57 minutes. Here, we cover everything you need to know about TOEFL listening practice.
TOEFL listening practice: An overview
|TOEFL full form||Test of English as a Foreign Language|
|Conducted by||Educational Testing Services (ETS)|
|No. of questions in the TOEFL listening section||28-39|
|Duration (in minutes)||41-57|
TOEFL listening practice: Key Highlights
- The TOEFL listening section consists of 28-39 questions, which you should complete in 41-57 minutes.
- The section includes 3-4 audio lectures and 2-3 conversations that determine your ability to listen and understand English in various styles and accents.
- It is important to remember that you can listen to the recordings only once.
- The audio allotted for listening could be a speech, general discussion, or conflict resolution.
- The TOEFL listening practice test scores range from 0-30.
TOEFL listening practice test: Questions to expect
It is essential to understand the syllabus before starting the TOEFL listening practice. Understanding the pattern and syllabus helps you complete the tasks effectively. The questions are designed to determine your ability to understand English conversations in different accents and grasp important information. You can expect these types of questions for TOEFL listening exercises and the exam.
- Gist content and gist purpose
- Detail questions
TOEFL listening practice syllabus
|TOEFL listening exercises questions||Description|
|Gist content and gist purpose||You are required to deliver the main idea or purpose of the audio.|
|Detail questions||The questions require you to provide the factual details derived from the audio.|
|Function||The tasks include determining the actual meaning of the context.|
|Attitude||You are required to analyse the attitude or expression of specific words.|
|Inference||The questions require you to find the underlying meaning of the lecture.|
|Connections||You are required to find connections between the ideas in the lecture.|
|Organisation||You must analyse and find how the lecture is structured.|
TOEFL listening practice sample questions
Completing TOEFL listening practice test would give you a significant boost while preparing for the actual exam. The practice tests develop your listening skills and prepare you for the assessment. Here are some sample questions:
- What is the main purpose of the conversation?
- What is the idea of the lecture?
- Why does the speaker talk about the Native American groups?
- How does Carol learn about John's retirement?
- What is Kevin’s idea?
- According to Henry, where does the cat run off to?
- Why does the speaker say “The land environment provides a wider variety of food sources than the ocean"?
- What does the teacher mean when she says “bumblebee glides through air”?
- Why does the narrator say “it is essential to restore ancient texts”?
- What does the narrator think about the situation?
- What is Karen’s attitude?
- What is Joel’s attitude toward the conversation?
- What is the professor implying about the monument?
- What does the speaker imply about the American Civil War?
- What can be inferred from the conversation?
- Fill the table
- Mention the steps in a process
- Make a prediction
- How does Zoe organise the lecture?
- Why does Lawrence tell Mark not to go?
- Why does the speaker discuss the issue?
Pro tips to prepare for TOEFL listening
The TOEFL listening practice is easy to attempt with ample practice and preparation. Here are some useful tips to help prepare for the TOEFL exam.
- Familiarise yourself with the TOEFL exam format. This will help you understand the various sections of the exam.
- Prepare a study plan and note your progress with each study session.
- Make use of the TOEFL study material. Different TOEFL listening practice with answers materials and study guides help you understand the question format and prepare you for the exam.
- Learn to understand different English styles and accents through podcasts, movies, and TV shows. It will help you improve your listening skills.
- Practice note-taking. It helps you collect important information from the audio while listening.
- Improve your vocabulary.
- Take mock tests and keep track of the progress. Make sure to analyse your mistakes and work on rectifying them. TOEFL listening comprehension practice test 1 and 2 are available online for students to attend practice tests.
Frequently asked questions
Is listening score 25 good in TOEFL?
The TOEFL listening section has a score range of 0-30. So a score of 25 for the listening test is good for the TOEFL exam.
What is the minimum TOEFL score for the USA?
Several educational institutions and visa applications for the USA prefer international students with a minimum TOEFL score of 90.
How can I practice TOEFL listening?
Here are some essential tips for TOEFL listening practice.
- Listen to talks and conversations in podcasts, movies, and TV shows to improve your listening skills in English.
- Practice note-taking. It helps you collect important details from the audio while listening.
- Take mock tests and keep track of the progress. Also, analyse your mistakes and work on rectifying them.
What is the TOEFL listening section?
The TOEFL Listening section determines your ability to listen and understand English in various styles and accents. The listening test consists of 3-4 audio lectures and 2-3 conversations from which students will be asked questions. You are required to complete the section in 41-57 minutes.
Can you listen twice in TOEFL?
No, the TOEFL listening test recordings can only be listened to once.