Develop specialist knowledge in machine learning, statistics and software technology for a solid grounding in the theory and practice of data science.
Data science drives a significant proportion of global economic activity from healthcare to finance and technology. It's influencing scientific progress across numerous fields including bioscience, energy and telecommunications. This course provides you with the tools and strong mathematical foundation to become an industry expert. You'll gain an understanding of the balanced combination of science and technology required for delivering effective data science.
- Work with a dedicated team of computer scientists who have a wealth of experience from their professional backgrounds.
- Learn to understand and develop state-of-the-art machine learning techniques.
- Gain expertise in when to apply the best technique for the best results, in small and large data sets.
- Be part of our supportive postgraduate community.
- Live and study in a beautiful world heritage city.
The research expertise in the department allows for a wide-range of subjects for your final project. Recent examples from Data Science students include:
- Deep learning in high frequency financial trading
- Spatiotemporal timing predictions in areas with a low density of public transport
- The impact of mindfulness meditation on multisensory transfer learning
After graduation, you’ll be well placed to progress into a variety of careers in data science, from large-scale established commercial enterprises to innovative technology start-ups. You will also have acquired the essential foundation for further postgraduate study and research within related fields.
Recent graduate roles include Data Scientist, Machine Learning Developer, Python Developer and Software Engineer.