Applying for an Indian Passport is an important step in your study abroad journey. We’ve put together all the details you need to make the process quick and easy.
Table of Contents
- What is an Indian passport, and why do you need it?
- When to apply for an Indian passport?
- Where to apply for an Indian passport?
- What is the processing fee?
- What documents do you need to apply for an Indian passport?
- What are the steps to get a passport?
- FAQs on applying for an Indian passport to study abroad:
What is an Indian passport, and why do you need it?
A passport is a mandatory travel document for any Indian with intentions to travel abroad for education, tourism, and business. The document certifies the holder as an Indian citizen.
As a prospective international student, you will need your passport at various stages of your study abroad journey, such as visa processing and departure. It would be best if you start thinking about applying for an Indian passport early to avoid any hiccups in your study abroad process.
When to apply for an Indian passport?
You can apply for an Indian passport at any time. Applications are accepted and processed year-round. You need to factor in the processing time and your study abroad timeline to decide.
Typically, it takes 30-45 days to receive a passport from the time of application submission. For an additional charge, you can get your passport in 7-14 days under the Takal mode.
Where to apply for an Indian passport?
You can apply for an Indian passport online through the Passport Seva Kendra website or the passport Seva Kendra mobile app.
What is the processing fee?
The processing fee is ₹1500 for a 36-page passport booklet and ₹2000 for a 60-page passport booklet.
What documents do you need to apply for an Indian passport?
While applying for your Indian passport, you need to submit documents for proof of date of birth (DOB) and documents for proof of address along with your application.
Documents valid for proof of date of birth:
- Aadhaar card or e-Aadhaar
- Birth certificate
- PAN card
- Driving Licence
- Voter ID
- School transfer certificate
- Orphanage/Child care home's declaration of the applicant's DOB in their official letterhead
- Copy of Public Life Insurance Corporation/Companies' policy bond with applicant's DOB
Documents valid for proof of address:
- Aadhaar card or e-Aadhaar
- Voter ID
- Income Tax Assessment order
- Rental agreement
- Landline/postpaid mobile bill
- Electricity bill
- Water bill
- Proof of gas connection
- Bonafide certificate from employers of reputed organisations
- Copy of the first and the last page of a parent's valid passport (for minors)
- Copy of the first and the last page of the spouse's valid passport that mention the applicant as his/her spouse
What are the steps to get a passport?
Step 1: Register online through the Passport Seva Kendra website or the Passport Seva Kendra mobile app.
Step 2: Log in to the portal using the username and password you gave in the registration form.
Step 3: On the portal, click 'Apply for a fresh passport'. This link will lead to the application form.
Step 4: Fill the application. Make sure that the details you've provided are correct. You don't have to fill the entire application in one sitting. You can stop at any point and come back to finish it. Make sure to save the application if you want to do so.
Step 5: After completing it, re-check it and submit.
Step 6: Click 'Pay and schedule appointment'. You can now pay the processing fee and book an appointment to visit the Passport Seva Kendra (PSK) or Regional Passport Office (RPO) that is nearest to you.
Step 7: Print Application Receipt. Make a note of the Application Reference Number (ARN) on the receipt.
Step 8: Finally, visit the Passport Seva Kendra (PSK) or Regional Passport Office (RPO) on the scheduled date and time. Take the physical copy of the passport application receipt along with your original documents.
FAQs on applying for an Indian passport to study abroad:
1. How to check the application status?
You can check your application status by logging into the Passport Seva Kendra portal using your registered user name.
2. What is the validity of an Indian passport?
Passports given to ordinary Indian citizens above the age of 18 are valid for ten years. Passports of citizens under the age of 18 are valid for five years.
3. How is the process affected by the COVID-19 pandemic?
The online application process is functioning as usual. The in-person verification is conducted at few open Passport Seva Kendra offices with strict social distancing guidelines.