'Start preparing now because you need to take millions of entrance exams, including the IELTS, to study abroad.'
Almost everyone aspiring to study abroad will hear such advice, but little do they know…
They are wrong.
New Zealand rose to fame as one of the top study destinations for international students in recent years and is home to many top universities that don't require IELTS.
Yes! You can study in New Zealand without taking the IELTS. You just need to satisfy any one of these prerequisites to qualify.
How to study in New Zealand without IELTS?
- Studied in an English medium school from class 8 to class 12.
- Study in an English medium school during your primary or secondary school level.
- Take an alternative English language assessment test.
1. Studied in an English medium school from class 8 to class 12.
If the official medium of instruction is English in your school, you can get a certificate that clearly states that you studied in an English medium school from classes 8 to 12. This letter would be proof of your English language prowess.
Additionally, some universities might also ask you to attend an interview with the admissions officer to assess your language skills.
Note: The school board (CBSE, ISCE, State board) you studied doesn't matter as long as the instruction medium is English.
2. Studied in an English medium school during your primary or secondary school level.
Alternately you will also be eligible if you studied in an English medium school for:
- A minimum of 5 years in primary school level or
- A minimum of 3 years in secondary school level.
You can also submit proof of any one of the above as proof while applying to a University in New Zealand.
Note: In both the above cases you will have to submit additional documents like:
- School mark sheets.
- Bonafede certificate from your school attesting to your English language skills.
3. Take an alternative English language assessment test.
There are many standard English language tests available for international students. You can check them out and choose one that you think will be easy for you.
Some of the standard English tests accepted by New Zealand universities:
- NZCEL (New Zealand Certificate in the English Language)
- CPE (Cambridge English: Proficiency)
- CAE (Cambridge English: Advanced)
Read similar topics
Can you get a New Zealand study visa without IELTS?
Yes, you can get a New Zealand study visa without taking the IELTS. The New Zealand Immigration authority will conduct an interview with you to check your English language communication skills before approving your visa.
Top New Zealand universities that do not require IELTS:
- University of Auckland
- University of Otago
- University of Canterbury
- Lincoln University
- Unitec Institute of Technology
Did you know you can also study in the UK without IELTS? We detail everything you need to know in our comprehensive guide!
Achieve your highest IELTS score!
Signup for your free IELTS masterclass with Edvoy.
Learn from the best of the best teacher with over 17 years of experience.