When it comes to pursuing courses and specializations in the Science and tech stream, studying STEM courses in the USA holds the baton for providing a top-notch education. STEM is the collective abbreviation of Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics. The US universities encourage overseas students like you to pursue the course. Still, the Government has brought in wide-ranged sanctions and provisions to establish, develop, and take the education quality of each stream to the next level.
So, let us look at which places are the best in the bubble to study and pursue the programs.
Table of Contents
- What are STEM courses in the USA?
- Advantages of studying STEM courses in the USA
- Top STEM programmes for International students in the USA
- Best Universities for pursuing STEM courses in the USA
- Eligibility requirements to pursue STEM courses in the USA
- Job prospects for STEM courses in the USA
- Documents required to apply for STEM courses in the USA
- Women in STEM
- Scholarships available for pursuing STEM courses in the USA
- FAQs regarding STEM courses
What are STEM courses in the USA?
STEM- Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics is a collection of professional college programs and degrees across multi-faceted disciplines. These disciplines are mostly related to science with interdisciplinary and hands-on work modules while studying.
So, here’s why you should pursue a STEM degree at USA universities!
Advantages of studying STEM courses in the USA
- Quality of education: The education quality of STEM courses in the USA is always commendable! Six out of the top global universities to pursue computer science and technology are situated in the US to support this fact. Moreover, the state-of-the-art technology hubs and laboratories ensure that the quality is sustained at a top-notch level.
- Rich in culture: Being the only one and the super one in offering a STEM degree, the US holds the maximum number of international students studying STEM education. So as a fellow international student, you will experience a student life rich with global culture and diversity, which greatly encourages inclusivity!
- Global perspective: The US universities offer the podium for you to develop your personality differently and bring out the best in you. The education system there encourages you to be open-minded, giving the space to think, ideate and innovate solutions to the general societal issues.
- Silicon Valley! California is the world-renowned tech hub and hence called the Silicon Valley of the USA. So, this opens a wide range of job prospects in the STEM field for you! This is the first and foremost thing an overseas student like you will look out for when they plan to pursue STEM courses in the USA.
Top STEM programmes for International students in the USA
Here’s a list of top STEM programmes that you can pursue in the best US universities!
|Course||University||Annual tuition fee range (in $)|
|Computer science||Carnegie Mellon University||53k-57k|
|Biomedical sciences||Johns Hopkins University||55k-56k|
|Chemical engineering||Massachusetts Institute of Technology||57k-58k|
|Mathematics and statistics||Princeton University||53k-57k|
|Civil engineering||University of California Berkeley||35k-47k|
|Chemistry||California Institute of Technology||56k-57k|
Best Universities for pursuing STEM courses in the USA
Let us take a look at the list of top universities for STEM courses in the USA that offer outstanding programmes for international students.
|University||Courses||Annual tuition fee range (in $)|
|Harvard University||Biomedical and Computer engineering||50k-55k|
|Stanford University||Aerospace, Biomedical and Chemical engineering||55k-56k|
|California Institute of Technology||Chemical, Biochemical and Civil engineering||56k-57k|
|Massachusetts Institute of Technology||Mechanical and Electrical engineering; Physics||57k-58k|
|University of California Berkeley||Biochemistry and Clinical psychology||35k-47k|
|Arizona State University||Nursing, Chemistry and Computer science||27k-35k|
|Columbia University||Biotechnology, Mathematics and Neuroscience||30k-45k|
|New York University||Cybersecurity and Data analytics; Nursing||55k-62k|
|University of Dayton||Computer science, Information systems||46k-55k|
|University of South Florida||Computer science, Nursing||48k-49k|
Eligibility requirements to pursue STEM courses in the USA
The eligibility criteria for applying to STEM courses in USA vary according to different universities in the USA. But factors like English test scores, standardized test scores, academic GPA and course-specific documents are a few mandatory things to include. So make sure you submit all these before planning to study the professional majors in America!
- Score sheet and secondary and high schooling certificate for pursuing bachelors in a STEM degree.
- A bachelor’s equivalent for pursuing a Master’s in STEM courses in USA.
- F-1 status of student visa
- English proficiency test scores IELTS/TOEFL/PTE/Duolingo
- GRE or GMAT scores
- Personal Essay
- Professional experience
- GPA on a scale of 3.0 to 4.0
Job prospects for STEM courses in the USA
Wide-range of top tier job opportunities is the first attractive element one sees for studying the major. There are more lucrative offers spread around the facet.
So if you graduate from a STEM program, you can make up to 127,000 USD per annum!!
So, here’s the list of top lucrative job offers that you can take up after graduating with a STEM major.
|Job role||Annual Growth rate||Average annual salary (in $)|
Documents required to apply for STEM courses in the USA
Here’s a list of documents necessary to submit while applying for studying STEM courses in USA:
- Academic transcripts
- Scanned copy of passport
- Letter of Recommendation
- English and language proficiency test scores
- LORs and SOPs
Women in STEM
In recent days, the Government of the USA has drafted diverse bills and policies to encourage the admissions of women to pursue STEM courses in USA and fill the gender gap. So, they have come up with various scholarships. With more women on a global scale entering the gates of STEM majors in the US, here’s a list of females who achieved a milestone and have etched their names as an inspiration!
- Marie curie
- Rosalind Franklin
- Barbara Askins
- Katherine Freese
- Lisa Meitner
Scholarships available for pursuing STEM courses in the USA
There is a diverse range of scholarships for international students that you can apply for to study STEM courses in USA! The education system also facilitates a significant amount of cost cut in your tuition fee by supporting inclusivity and welcoming students from various walks of life (Women, minority students, Hispanic, African-American, Native American, LGBTQ)
So, look out for these scholarships and fellowship opportunities while applying to pursue the programs.
For undergraduate programs:
- AIAA foundation undergraduate scholarship programs
- ASDSO scholarship
- ASME scholarships program
- Herbert Levy Memorial Scholarship
- Microsoft scholarship program
- Steinman scholarship
For graduate programs:
- AFB Paul and Ellen Ruckes Scholarship
- American Nuclear Society Scholarship programs
- DOE computational science graduate fellowship
- ABC Humane wildlife control and prevention, Inc. Academic scholarship
- Aysen Tunca Memorial Scholarship
- BHW scholarship
- Women tech makers scholar program
- Thurgood marshall college fund
- UNCF STEM scholars program
For Native Americans:
- Catching the dream scholarship program
- Truman. D. Picard scholarship program
- Gates Millennium Scholarship program
- Generation Google scholarship
- Out to innovate scholarship
FAQs regarding STEM courses
1. What is a STEM degree?
STEM courses or a degree refers to programs in the disciplines of Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics.
2. Why should you choose STEM courses in the USA?
Pursuing the STEM courses in USA will open a broad range of job opportunities and research options that instigates innovative and out-of-the-box thinking in you. It enhances your academic profile for pursuing a degree under a top-notch education system.
3. How to find the perfect school for STEM courses in USA that matches your academic profile?
First, look out for the majors relevant to the stream or the program you pursued in high school or college. Then explore the various scholarships available and start applying to the universities that offer the top STEM courses in USA.
You can register with Edvoy and chat with our University counselors and experts to find the right school for pursuing STEM courses in the USA! Visit today!