Doctorate Social Work Courses Abroad
Choosing to study Doctorate in Social Work abroad is a decision that will hugely benefit your future.
With a Doctorate in Social Work you will excel in the subject and set yourself up for a prosperous career.
You can choose from over 29 institutions offering 43 Doctorate courses in Social Work.
Fees start from £6,573 up to £28,755. The actual cost will depend on your chosen institution, so do make sure you check. If costs are a concern, many scholarships available can help with funding. Each scholarship has different criteria to qualify for but can help cover living costs and tuition fees.
You must also have a suitable background when applying for Doctorate in Social Work. Different universities will have different requirements, so check their criteria before applying.
You will also likely need an English language qualification, such as IELTS or TOEFL.
Top 10 Doctorate in Social Work universities abroad
- Swansea University
- University of Essex
- University of Gloucestershire
- Brunel University
- Heriot-Watt University
- Ulster University
- University of Bristol
- University of Hertfordshire
- University of Huddersfield
- University of Sussex
Doctorate in Social Work fees abroad
There’s no way around tuition fees (unless you have a scholarship of course) as they are a necessity to study Doctorate in Social Work. Fees can be higher or lower depending on which country you decide to study in and the university.
To find out what you’ll need to pay, please look to your chosen university for Doctorate in Social Work.
To help you get a general idea, we’ve identified the minimum and maximum fees below.
Don’t forget there are many scholarships available that you can apply for to help reduce costs.
The minimum fees for Doctorate in Social Work are £6,573.
The maximum fees for Doctorate in Social Work are £28,755.
Student’s visa cost for studying Doctorate in Social Work abroad
Most countries require students to take a student visa before studying there. There are costs associated with applying, which vary depending on the country. The table below outlines the costs you’ll be expected to pay.
|UK student visa||GBP £363|
|USA student visa||USD $510. This is for the F1 student visa and includes USD $350 SEVIS fee and USD $160 application fee.|
|Canada student visa||CAD $235. This includes the application fee of CAD $150 and the biometrics fee of CAD $85.|
|New Zealand student visa||NZ $530. This figure will vary depending on where you’re applying from.|
|Ireland student visa||EUR €60|
Studying Doctorate in Social Work abroad eligibility criteria
When applying to study abroad, there is a set list of documents that you will need. The specific requirements depend on the country as well as the institution. In general, however, you will need the following:
- Academic transcripts
- Application form
- Letter of recommendation
- English language proficiency test scores
- Statement of purpose
- Admissions test results
Each university will outline the minimum score for each test before you apply, as well as any other additional document you may need, such as a portfolio.
Post-study work permit after completing Doctorate in Social Work qualification
Once you’ve finished your course, you will have the option to stay back in the country and look for work. In order to do so, you will have to apply for a post-study work permit.
Countries have different types of permits that differ in how long you can stay back for. The table below outlines the length of time each permit lets you stay in each country.
|Country||Name of post-study work visa||Length of time to stay in country|
|UK||Graduate visa||2 years|
|USA||Post-completion Optional Practical Training (OPT)||1 year|
|Canada||Post-graduation work permit (PGWP)||3 years|
|New Zealand||Post-study work visa||3 years|
|Ireland||Third level graduate programme||2 years|
Top Doctorate Social Work Courses
- Ph.D. Social Work offered jointly with North Carolina A&T State UniversityUniversity of North Carolina at Greensboro$11,004
- PhD Social Work and Social CareUniversity of Gloucestershire£10,000
- MA by Research Social Work and Social CareUniversity of Gloucestershire£10,000
- MSc by Research Social Work and Social CareUniversity of Gloucestershire£10,000
- PhD Social WorkUniversity at Albany$13,675.95
- Masters by Research Social WorkUniversity of Hertfordshire
- PhD Social WorkUniversity of Hertfordshire
- MRes Masters in Research Social Research (Health and Wellbeing)University of the West of England£14,250
- PhD/MPhil Social WorkKeele University£14,900
- PhD Social WorkThe University of Hull£18,650
- Doctorate in Social Theory
- Doctorate in Social Development
- Doctorate in Sociology Of Peace
- Doctorate in Conservation Science
- Doctorate in Sociology Of The Family
- Doctorate in Leisure Studies
- Doctorate in Community Organizing
- Doctorate in Urban Studies Or Urban Sociology
- Doctorate in Sociology Of Conflict
- Doctorate in Policy Sociology