Is the UK your ideal study-abroad destination for 2024? If so, you're in the right place. In this blog, Edvoy will provide you with essential information about the January intake in the UK.
Below, we’ll delve deeper into the top UK universities offering courses with a January intake. Plus, we’ll offer valuable insights into the admissions process and the diverse academic pathways on offer.
But, first off: why January?
Honestly, the January intake in the UK is a great opportunity for ambitious international students. After all, the competition for places is reduced. That’s because starting in September is more common in the UK.
Also, January courses run on a different timeline. This means you’ll graduate at a different time, too. So, the graduate jobs market will be less competitive.
If you didn’t make the September deadline, now is your chance. With Edvoy’s guide to the January intake, you can kickstart your journey in just a few months’ time.
Table of Contents
- What is the timeline for the January intake in the UK?
- The UK institutions offering January intake courses in 2024: Edvoy’s top 5
What is the timeline for the January intake in the UK?
To gain admission to your chosen university for January 2024, it’s essential to comply with the deadlines.
Confused about the January intake for UK universities? Not to worry. Below, we’ve broken it down for you.
The 3 main intakes at UK universities
Currently, there are up to three intake windows at UK universities.
As you know, most students in the UK start their degrees in September. But, lots of institutions also offer a winter intake. This begins in the New Year (usually January, sometimes February). Finally, some universities have a May intake too. If you’re interested in a springtime start, just click this link to Edvoy’s guide.
When is the deadline for the January intake?
Typically, the deadline for the January intake in the UK falls in November.
However, it’s important to note that this date can vary according to the specific course and institution.
So, we advise checking the details against your chosen universities’ websites.
Ready to start your application for the January intake in the UK? We’ve collated the key milestones for applications to the January intake in the UK in 2024 below for you.
Stick to our timeline and you’ll be well on your way to starting your degree in the New Year! Don’t forget to consult Edvoy's course catalogue here.
Applying for the January intake: a step-by-step guide
|As soon as possible||Research the institutions and courses that pique your interest. |
Make a shortlist. Note the admissions criteria for international students, including administrative requirements.
|October 2023||Take any tests required by your university (such as IELTS or TOEFL). You can read Edvoy's guide to IELTS here.|
Draft your applications, making sure to prepare all documents well in advance of the deadline.
You might need to provide:
Check your application thoroughly. Then, submit!
|October-November 2023||Apply for your UK student visa. For support, you can refer to the step-by-step instructions in this article.|
|Early December 2023||Deadline for responding to offers from your chosen universities.|
|December 2023||Arrange your finances (tuition fee and living costs) and secure your accommodation. |
Book your flights, making sure to communicate your travel arrangements with your university.
If this timeline looks realistic, you’re well on your way to starting your study-abroad journey as part of the January intake in the UK in 2024.
Why apply for the January intake in the UK?
While September is the usual start date for students in the UK, there are compelling reasons to consider the January intake.
Arguably, the January intake offers a better chance of securing admission to top universities.
Let’s take a detailed look.
The benefits of applying to the January intake
- A second bite at the apple. If you missed out on applying to your desired universities before the deadline for September, applying for the January intake in the UK could be your lifeline. You won't have to wait a whole year. Instead, you can start your degree in early 2024.
- Enhanced employability: Enrolling in January means you’ll finish your degree at a less competitive time. Opting for the January intake could launch you into the graduate jobs market at a favourable moment for your career.
- Reduced competition. When it comes to intakes, January is not as popular as September. So, competition for places is lessened in January. In other words, the January intake offers a better chance of securing admission to some of the UK’s top universities.
In summary, the January intake in the UK is an excellent opportunity for international students. You’re arguably better able to secure admission to prestigious universities. And, you’ll be aligning your academic timeline with desirable job openings. What could be better?
The top UK universities offering a January intake in 2024
Plenty of fantastic UK universities offer courses starting in January 2024. You won’t have to compromise on quality, for sure.
Below, you’ll find a list of popular UK university destinations alongside the courses on offer for the January intake. Also, we’ve provided information about their rankings, ethos, and location. That way, you’ll have all the information you need.
The UK institutions offering January intake courses in 2024: Edvoy’s top 5
1. University of York
- A Russell Group institution, the University of York is considered a leading UK university.
- A beautiful, historic city. York is a jewel amongst British cities, regularly voted a top place to live.
- A wealth of postgraduate degrees. Choose between MA by research (1 year), MPhil by research (2 years), or a PhD, all available to start in January 2024.
- Distance learning provision for those unable to reside in York full time.
2. University of East Anglia (UEA)
- In the top 20% of universities worldwide (QS World Rankings 2024), UEA is a well-regarded institution in the UK.
- One of the UK’s most attractive campuses: UEA benefits from glorious countryside surroundings.
- A select January intake for a handful of taught postgraduate courses: MA Global Development, MSc Business and Management, plus specialised Masters courses in the field of medical practice.
- For undergraduates, look no further than the International Year One in Business Management and Economics. An accelerated course, January intake students will enter Year Two of an undergraduate degree with Norwich Business School or the UEA School of Economics in September 2024.
- An innovative London-based campus, studying at Brunel means you’ll benefit from the thriving culture of the UK capital.
- Taught postgraduate courses with a January intake in the fields of business, civil engineering, design, electronic/electrical engineering, environmental sciences, law, and mechanical engineering. You can view the catalogue here.
- Research degrees commencing in January 2024 or April 2024. Options span more than 60 subject areas.
4. Coventry University
- Home to more than 13,000 international/EU students, Coventry University has educational partners worldwide.
- Vast array of undergraduate and postgraduate courses with the 2024 January intake.
- BA/Bsc degrees are available in the following fields: accountancy, automotive engineering, aviation, banking, biological sciences, business, computing, cyber security, economics, electronics, humanities, international law, marketing, nursing, pharmacology, politics, psychology, public health, software engineering, sport, and tourism.
5. University of Bedfordshire
- With its international ethos, the University of Bedfordshire encourages its students to be global citizens.
- Winter start undergraduate courses in accounting, AI, business administration, computer animation, computer science, electronic engineering, food and nutrition, health and social care, human resources, information technology, international tourism, marketing, media, mechanical engineering, nursing, pharmaceuticals and pharmacology, and software engineering.
- The exception to the rule, the University of Bedfordshire will start its winter intake in February 2024. That’s right… You’ll have an extra few weeks to prepare!
As we’ve seen, whether you’re studying your first degree, a taught Masters, or a postgraduate degree by research, the January intake in the UK has a course for you.
“Edvoy helps you find the best institutions and courses for your UK study adventure.”
The January intake in the UK: 7 FAQs
To help you with your application, we’ve collected some common questions about the January intake.
Will the University of Hertfordshire have a January intake in 2024?
Yes, the University of Hertfordshire has a January intake. Undergraduate courses include BSc Business and Sport Management, BSc Computer Science with the option of Applied Data, and BSc Information Technology. At postgraduate level, a vast range of taught Masters degrees are offered. These include MA, MSc, MBA, LLM, and Masters of Law courses. Research degrees are offered with a January 2024 start date, too.
Does Nottingham Trent University (NTU) have a January intake?
Yes, NTU provides a number of Masters courses with a January 2024 start date. You can view the full list here.
Will the University of Bedfordshire offer a January intake in 2024?
Definitely. Just scroll up the page to Edvoy’s Top 5. You’ll find that the University of Bedfordshire has one of the widest offerings of undergraduate degree courses for the January intake in the UK.
Is the January intake available for courses at Manchester Metropolitan University (MMU) ?
The January intake at Manchester Metropolitan University is offered for 25 postgraduate courses across different disciplines. Course types include MA, MFA, MPH, MSc, LLM, and PGCert/PGDip. And at undergraduate level, you can start a BSc in Nursing in January 2024 at MMU.
What are the main January intake universities in London?
Anglia Ruskin and Royal Holloway are two great London universities offering a January intake for some postgraduate degrees. And as we’ve seen, Brunel University London offers many courses with a January intake. Also, Coventry University has a campus in London.
Is it too late to apply to the 2024 January intake?
Certainly not. As Edvoy has shown, there’s plenty of time to secure your place for the January intake in the UK.
Why wait for September 2024?
Whether you're a late applicant, or simply prefer to start your studies as soon as possible in 2024, the January intake in the UK is a great solution.
By opting for the January intake, your chances of acceptance will be arguably greater. Just like your employment prospects at the end of your degree!
If you’re excited about the January intake, it’s time to draft your applications. Download the Edvoy app to get started.