The United States is renowned for its prestigious educational institutions, making it a top destination for higher education. Many universities in the US have flexible intake processes, offering multiple options throughout the year.
In this article, we will explore the spring intake in USA, including information about universities offering spring intake, available courses, admission requirements, application deadlines, answers to FAQs, and more.
Table of Contents
- What is spring intake in USA?
- Why should you apply for spring intake in USA?
- Top universities and courses for spring intake in USA 2024
- Requirements for Spring Intake in USA
- Deadlines for spring intake
- The spring intake timeline
- Which exam is required for MS in USA?
- Frequently asked questions
What is spring intake in USA?
Spring intake or January intake is an additional intake for US universities beginning in January. Students who miss applying for the fall intake can apply for this. It’s the second most popular intake, and universities also receive a significant number of applications from around the world during this admission session.
When does Spring semester in USA 2024 start?
The Spring semester at most universities in the USA typically start from January to May.
However, applying for the spring intake means that students will enrol in an ongoing academic year and may graduate later.
Why should you apply for spring intake in USA?
The spring intake has some benefits, including:
- Higher chances of securing admission because there’s less competition.
- Enough time to prepare for and take the required standardised tests, including the English proficiency tests.
- More time to explore and research institutions, programs and courses to make informed decisions.
- Ample time to prepare for relocation, including planning finances, housing arrangements, obtaining a student visa, and other formalities.
- Smaller class sizes, which offer a better teacher-student ratio and more personalised learning.
- Courses that allow you to complete your degree quite faster, compared to other intakes, and begin your career earlier.
- A more straightforward admission process.
Top universities and courses for spring intake in USA 2024
Many universities offer admissions during the spring intake in USA.
Here’s a list of US universities with spring intake 2024 and some of their popular courses:
|1||Yale University||Biology and Biomedical Sciences, Engineering, Physics and Geosciences, Psychology, History|
|2||Massachusetts Institute of Technology or MIT||Computer Science, Bioengineering and Biomedical Engineering, Physics|
|3||Florida International University||Hospitality and Tourism Management, Communication, Engineering and Computing, Business, Law, Health Sciences, Psychology|
|4||University of South Carolina||Business Administration and Management, Marketing, Finance, Information and Communications|
|5||University of Central Florida||Statistics and Data Science, Biomedical Engineering, Biology, Data Analytics, Economics, Clinical Psychology|
|6||The University of Massachusetts, Boston||Business/Commerce, Social Sciences, Psychology, Biology and Biological Sciences, Marketing, Computer and Information Sciences|
|7||The University of Illinois, Chicago||Social Sciences, Engineering, Psychology, Business Analytics, Computer Science, Veterinary Science|
|8||Arizona State University||Computer Science, Data Science, Mechanical Engineering, Business, Management, Social Sciences, Biological and Biomedical Sciences, Visual and Performing Arts|
|9||Wichita State University||Engineering, Fine Arts, Accounting, Biomedical Engineering, Business Analytics, Communications|
|10||The University of Colorado-Colorado Springs||Computer Science, Physics, Accounting, Business Analytics, Engineering, Journalism|
|11||Pace University||Finance, Visual and Performing Arts, Marketing Biochemistry, Computer Science, Economics, Information and Technology; Bookkeeping, Natural Chemistry, Software Engineering|
|12||California State University, Long Beach||Computer Science, Engineering and Industrial Applied Mathematics, Physical Therapy, Philosophy|
|13||Howard University||Business, Engineering, Accounting, General Biology, General Chemistry, Economics, Data Analysis|
|14||San José State University||Business, Biological Sciences, Management, Public Health, Engineering, Visual and Performing Arts, Biological Sciences, Communication, Psychology, Journalism, Forensic Science|
|15||University of Cincinnati, Ohio||Business Analytics, Business Economics, Law, Nursing, Marketing, Computer Science|
|16||University of Texas at Dallas||Computer Science, Management Information Systems (MIS), Engineering, Visual and Performing Arts, Neuroscience, Economics|
|17||University of Utah||Business, Physiology, Physical Therapy, Finance, Kinesiology and Exercise Science, Nursing|
|18||The University of Maryland||Environmental Health, Econometrics and Quantitative Economics, Finance, Mechanical Engineering|
|19||Stevens Institute of Technology, New Jersey||Accounting and Analytics, Bioengineering, Biology, Business Administration, Computer Science, Engineering Management|
|20||San Francisco State University||Liberal and Creative Arts, Business, Computer Science|
“The quality of life you get depends on your choices.” - BrainyQuote
Click here to browse top universities with spring intake in USA now.
Requirements for Spring Intake in USA
Each university will require you to submit a set of documents as part of the application process, and these documents may differ depending on your institution or program. You should check your institution’s official website for the specific documents required for your application.
However, the following are some documents that are typically required in the admission process for many US universities:
- Original transcript: This document details your academic record, including courses you’ve taken, your grades, and awards, and it can only be issued by your educational institution.
- A student CV/resume: This is a self-introducing document summarising your academic journey, experience, and achievements. You may also need this document to apply for internships and part-time roles while you’re in school.
- Statement of Purpose (SOP): This is a document that highlights your strengths, long-term aims and reasons for choosing the institution and course of study, giving character to your applications.
- Letter of Recommendation (LOR): This is a document written by teachers or past employers to support the candidate and highlight their personality, work ethic, character, academic achievements and more.
- Valid passport
- Valid student visa
- Standardised test scores: This includes tests like the SAT, GMAT, GRE, or ACT.
- English proficiency test scores: IELTS, TOEFL, or other acceptable proof of English Language proficiency.
- Results of the last qualifying test
- Certificate-size photographs
- Bachelor’s degree or provisional certificate if applying for a Master’s degree
- Details of any internships and extracurricular activities
Deadlines for spring intake
The spring 2023 application deadline for international students, like the general application deadlines have different types and they include:
Early decision (ED) deadlines
Students applying for the Early decision (ED) deadline are usually prioritised over other candidates. ED deadlines are usually a few months before regular deadlines. The deadlines are not flexible, and a student must submit all the required materials by the deadline. ED is binding, and if a student is accepted under this admission process, they must withdraw all other applications and attend that particular institution.
Regular decision (RD) deadlines
Although the regular decision deadlines, including the spring 2023 application deadline for international students, may vary by university, they generally fall between September and November of the previous year.
Several institutions have no fixed deadline for the end of their admission process. They review the applications on an ongoing basis and make decisions to offer candidates admission. However, they may have a set date for the completion of the admission process or continue evaluating applications until there are no more slots to be filled. Many institutions with rolling admission policies use priority and early decision deadlines, so it’s important to find out if the institution you plan to apply to has such deadlines.
“Ambitions are dreams with deadlines, and without setting these deadlines, our ambitions are dead in the water.” - A great mood
The spring intake timeline
The application process can be lengthy, so it’s generally recommended that you start the process 18 months or at least a year before the start date. Starting 18 months in advance is excellent if you plan to apply early.
|February - March||Research and shortlist suitable courses and institutions. Prepare for standardised tests.|
|April - July||Submit applications to your chosen universities before the deadline.|
|July - August||Start taking standardised tests, depending on your course requirements.|
|September - October||Wait for acceptance letters and respond once you receive them. Explore available scholarship and financial aid opportunities.|
|November - December||After shortlisting suitable opportunities, start applying for them. Apply for your student visa. You can apply for on-campus housing or try private housing options.|
|December||Start preparing for the session. It’s a good idea to arrive early so you have enough time to settle it, but you can’t arrive more than 30 days before your course commences.|
Which exam is required for MS in USA?
To apply for MS in the USA, candidates may be required to take certain standardised tests, some of which include:
- Graduate Management Admissions Test (GMAT): for business and management programs.
- Graduate Record Exam (GRE): for engineering, science, and humanities programs.
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL): To prove English Language proficiency.
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS): to prove English Language proficiency.
- Pearson Test of English (PTE): to prove English Language proficiency.
- Medical College Admissions Test (MCAT): for medical programs.
- Law School Admission Test (LSAT): for law programs.
Frequently asked questions
When to apply for spring intake USA 2024?
Ideally, you should start the application process a year before the spring 2024 intake, which means you should have begun by January 2023. You can start applying as soon as possible and complete your application processes by October 2023 at the latest because some universities have very early application deadlines.
What are some universities in USA offering spring admissions to undergraduates?
Many universities, including the top universities discussed above, are US universities with spring intake 2024, and some of them include the University of Massachusetts, the University of Arizona, the University of Central Florida, the University of Massachusetts, the University of Maryland, Washington State University, and the University of Illinois, Chicago.
What are some universities in USA offering spring admissions 2024 for masters?
Despite multiple intakes in USA for MS & masters, spring intake provides a unique opportunity for students who want to start their graduate studies earlier in the year. Several universities offer intakes in usa for MS & masters degree programs in spring 2024, and some of them include:
- Yale University
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)
- University of Texas at Dallas
- University of Illinois, Chicago
- University of Southern California
- The University of Utah
Is GRE required for MS in USA for fall 2024?
Generally, you require a GRE score of 320 or more to study MS in the USA. However, several top universities, such as UC San Diego, now offer MS without a GRE, since the COVID-19 pandemic.
What are the deadlines for fall 2024 USA masters?
Although the deadlines vary by institution and program, the application deadline for the fall intake 2024 is between October and December 2023, and you can get a decision between December and April 2024.
Start your journey with Edvoy
The spring intake in the USA in 2024 offers a wealth of opportunities for those seeking to pursue higher education. To start your journey and receive personalized guidance throughout the application process, connect with professionals from Edvoy.