The IELTS test is one of the significant English proficiency tests. It is one of the most preferred by the students planning for overseas education. The IELTS is conducted in two versions: IELTS Academic and IELTS general. Students planning to pursue an abroad education should take Academic, while other candidates seeking job opportunities or visa sanctions should write General. In this article, let's look at registering for the IELTS test.
Table of Contents
A step-by-step guide to register for the IELTS test
The IELTS test is available on 48 fixed days per year. This means that you can take the test 4 times a month, and there is no age and count limit to taking the test. But you have to pay the registration fee of Rs. 15,500 each time you take the test. Here's how the online registration works for the IELTS test.
- First, visit the official IELTS website.
- Then click the "Register for the test" option.
- Select your preferred test type, the date you are going to take and the test centre (city name)
- The topmost tab will provide the booking details. Then continue to book IELTS by providing your personal and registration details.
- Then upload the digital (scanned) copy of your passport to the site.
- Finally, select the list of colleges with whom the final results should be shared.
- Review the entire profile once before you make the payment.
- Pay the test fee. Once completed, you can download or print the acknowledgement receipt for registering for the test.
- After completing the registration, you'll also receive the acknowledgement via email/ mobile.
Methods to complete IELTS registration
One conventional method to register for the test is taking the in-person path. It would help if you visited the nearby IDP IELTS office. You'll be given a downloaded online form or a paper application there. Fill out the form and make your payment via either credit/debit card, DD (Demand Draft) or ICICI bank deposit slip. You'll receive an instant confirmation of your reservation.
Points to remember while booking your IELTS test slot
While making the payment of Rs. 15,500 using a credit/debit card will complete the registration process seamlessly. Also,
- Make sure you meet the minimum age limit (16).
- The details you provided for the login profile on the IELTS site should match the ones in your passport.
- It would be best to carry your passport as a valid identity to the test centre.
- If you didn't get the preferred test slot, the site would automatically allocate you one.
Scheduling your IELTS test slot
As mentioned above, the British Council offers 48 fixed days a year to book the IELTS exam. So make sure that your preparations timeline and the test date have at least a 3 to 4 months gap. This gives ample time for you to prepare and book your IELTS test slot. Also, the infinite number of attempts will give you the confidence to make a perfect attempt the following time if the previous one wasn't great.
List of IELTS test centres in India
The IDP India conducts the IELTS exam in the following cities.
- New Delhi
Jammu & Kashmir
- Navi Mumbai
- Sri Muktsar sahib
- Sri Ganganagar
FAQs: IELTS registration
How soon can I take an IELTS retest?
You can retake the test anytime after the first one.
What is the minimum age to appear for the IELTS test?
The minimum age is 16 to attempt an IELTS test.
How to change the IELTS speaking test date?
Since the speaking test is system generated, it is impossible to change the slot/date.
How many days before the test date can we register for IELTS?
You can register as early as three months or even a week before the exam date.